Paula

Monday, September 25, 2006

I want my happy ending!

You know you're getting older when you:

*Cry at happy endings.

*Want everything to have a happy ending.

Cold Case and Without A Trace premiered, last night.

While Cold Case was sufficiently depressing - about rampage killers - Without A Trace had me hoping that everything would be all peaches and cream at the end. Or as peaches and cream a show can be when the topic at hand is missing children.

If you've ever watched Without A Trace, you know that happy endings aren't guaranteed and are, in fact, damn rare.

I realize that my need for happy endings won't be fulfilled very often watching shows like this. But I enjoy procedurals.

I know, I'm an enigma.

Lucky for me, Without A Trace did end in a happy ending. A double happy ending, no less. Both missing children were returned home and my eyes leaked with tears of joy.

I know it can't always be that way. Happy endings have their place.

That's why my sweet YA novels are happy ending incarnate. Because it feels like the right place for happy endings.

That doesn't mean that the endings are dripping with sickeningly sweet "they lived happy ever after" sentiments. But I believe in leaving things on an up beat.

It's good ju-ju.

Nothing's wrong with books revolved around serious, heavy and/or realistic subject matter. Those type of stories just aren't where my head is at, right now.

Besides, any author who's ever seen Misery thinks twice before killing off or badly maiming (literally or figuratively) a beloved character.

Imagine Kathy Bates standing over your bed calling you a pooty-poo or some such bizarre curseword with her sledghammer cocked to smash your ankles.

No thank you!

But I'd like the record to show that us happy ending lovers are not wusses. I prefer to think of us as...wish fulfillers. And, there's a difference between a happy ending and a fairy tale ending - thank you very much.

At the end of the day, I want my young readers to sigh dreamily and think, "Ahh, I wish that was me."

Simply put, reality is forever. Escaping into a world where there's a happy ending at the end of the rainbow is for only a short while.

Here's to everything being alright.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home