Paula

Monday, September 25, 2006

Taking a shot at the SKR

Remember when being spontaneous was like, cool?

Okay, well when you have a family, work a full-time job, write on a semi full-time basis, and coach a cheer squad, spontaneity is only allowed when it's on the agenda.

But I've reached a fork in the road where my schedule feels completely and thoroughly out of control. I am no longer managing my schedule, it's managing me.

And finding the energy to write is becoming a chore.

I still enjoy writing, but dragging myself into the office to focus on it is becoming as hard to do as exercising.

Yikes!

Well, earlier today, I read some background on Stephen King and he was quoted as saying that, in order to be a good writer one should write four hours a day and read four hours a day.

Easy for him to say.

But I respect King, as a storyteller and fafillionaire author.

So, I've decided that I'm going to really, really...really, really make an effort to do what he suggests. I call it the Reading, Writing, Exercise diet AKA The Stephen King Regiment (The SKR).

Starting today I've inflicted a self-imposed boot camp type schedule on myself to ensure that I get in four hours of writing, two hours of reading (Sorry Steve. Some of us just aren't afforded four hours of that much quiet and alone time) and an hour of exercise.

Now, King said nothing about exercise and how it impacts one's ability to spin a yarn. But, I already knew I needed to get back to working out. So I threw that in for good measure.

I can't wait to see if I can actually do this.

Seriously, it will be a challenge of nearly epic proportions.

And honestly, in order to succeed, the only thing I can even think to cut out is sleep.

But I'm going to give it a serious try. If I can get myself in the frame of mind...and better yet, if I can get my family to understand that when I'm in the office I'm not just putzing around the Internet running off at the lips (fingers), these things could become as routine as eating and breathing.

We'll see.

Today, I managed two and half hours of writing and two hours of reading. Not bad considering today was a cheer practice day and I'm usually brain dead afterwards.

BTW, within that four hours of writing I'm allowing one hour for blogging and/or "free" writing, while the other three must be on WIPs or books on deadline.

Okay, folks, roll up those sleeves. This should be good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home