Paula

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Extreme Author Challenge: Village Learning Place

Do you hear that? It's the sound of the P promo train leaving the station, first stop The Village Learning Place, a private library in Baltimore.

Invited by Ms. Andrea, I was asked to do the author thing with their middle school group. I had a good time, a little rusty since I haven't done a visit since November, and the kids...well I think they enjoyed it. It's so hard to tell with middle schoolers. If it's not something they're currently obsessed with, you only register mildly on their radar.

But I think they had fun. Thanks to the tweens and teens who played along.

Ms. Andrea said something that really struck me - she said with this age group they know what they don't want but not really what they do. I think that's so true. Which is why exposing young readers to as many experiences as possible is key.

So thank you, Village Learning Place for having me!

I think the young patrons enjoyed making posters to promote their chapter more than they did creating it, but I've learned when it comes to young readers - take what you can get and be happy. If they're geeked to get your book - and they seemed to be - then Ms. Andrea and I did our jobs.

The point of the Extreme Author Challenge is to help young readers experience life as an author. They get fifteen minutes (a deadline) to write a mini-chapter as a group. Then they must promote their "book" within their library and encourage patrons to read and comment on their chapter (promotion).

So, leave a comment and let the young readers know you stopped by. They're far too young to experience the deafening silence that's the norm for authors.

Their chapter is based on Don't Get It Twisted.

The Set-up:
Mid-way through the book, Mina is warned by Brian, at a party, that she may not be too happy when she finds her crush/sort of boyfriend, Craig. Here's what the clique at Village Learning Place thought happened after:

Mina gets hit by Kelis, the girl Brian was secrety dating. So Mina punches her back. The neighbors called the police and cleared the area. Then Mina went home and told her mom. Her mom asked what happened for her to get into a fight. Mina tells her mom what happened and her mom says, "That was a very stupid thing to fight over." When Mina finished talking to her mother, she went up to her room and slammed her door. She found out Kelis was talking to a friend they met at camp. But Craig came over and he and Mina went to Mina's room. She found out he was cheating and Brian was like, "What I tell you?"

7 Comments:

Blogger Ernets_Ownz said...

omg this is so exciting for me becuase what i wrpte is on the inter net and i think that this book is great so Ms.Paula keep up the good work of what u r doing,Also u an only u have enspired me 2 write books my friends an i we r also writing books about drama and the drama high books.So coodos 2 u. much love talayah shaw

5:05 PM  
Blogger Ernets_Ownz said...

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww iam realy happy that my story section is on here so pleaseeeeeeeeeee leave comments for us at the library.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

I'm so glad you're inspired to write. I love hearing that. There can never be enough voices telling stories.

In case any one else is trying to post the comments, don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away. I have to approve comments to keep the spammers away.

Thanks for commenting!

-P

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story guys!

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea i loved the story. It was real cool and interesting and when i was over i said to my self "all ready??" But yea. I LOOOOVED it!

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea i loved the story. It was real cool and interesting and when i was over i said to my self "all ready??" But yea. I LOOOOVED it!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Glad you liked it! Always great to hear.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home