Paula

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

iTunes Ain't Right

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPod like it's one of my kids...okay, not that much, but close.

Still, iTunes runs afoul of me anytime I can't find a song I'm truly feigning to hear. It's almost always some obscure, old-school jam that I haven't heard since my teen days. But they seem to carry every tune on earth, so when I run up against a song they don't have, I take it personally.

Okay, so last year I went searching for Pop Goes My Mind, one of the first hit singles by LeVert. If you're unfamiliar with the group you're likely not an R&B fan. If you're unfamiliar with the single, you likely only know Gerald Levert as a solo artist. And you know how P feels about musical history lessons. Check the links and catch up, I'll wait.

Moving on...

iTunes has this odd habit of only carrying the "successful" albums of artists. And by successful I mean the mainstream stuff. Levert didn't really take off until late 80's, early 90's so Bloodline, the album with Pop Goes My Mind didn't make the cut.

I cursed iTunes out for a good week when I couldn't find it - which is ten days shorter than my blast when I found out I had to buy the entire Sheila E. album to get my jam, Love Bizarre. Don't even get me started!

Last week, Sean Levert, the younger of the Levert brothers passed away. The tragedy was impacted by the fact that Gerald died late '06. I can't imagine their families pain at losing them both, so early.

These are young guys we're talking here -both in their late thirties/early forties.

I'm doing all I can to keep my mortality hypochondria at bay, just talking about it!

Anyway, so the hubster and I morbidly joked that now that both had passed maybe iTunes would make all their tracks accessible.

Honestly, I was only kidding.

But I went to iTunes tonight and what did I find? Each and every album Levert ever released.

I got the track I wanted and now I can reminisce about 1986 for hours on end. The year me and the hub started dating.

Awww, that's cute, isn't it?

Still, iTunes you ain't right!

I have no idea what politics are involved with how artists and labels release tracks to iTunes. So it's probably not even iTunes fault. But they're the messenger, so who else am I gonna blame?

Hmm...although last I heard Sheila E. was alive and kicking, I better check just to make sure iTunes hasn't released that death grip on Love Bizarre.

That's my jam!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a big LeVert fan as they are from my hometown and performed at my junior high in 88 back when Pop Goes My Mind and Casanova ruled 93.1FM WZAK, lol. I saw them perform live in 1990 -- still one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

If I had known you were looking for that song, I could have hooked you up as I have a Best of CD I bought in 2002.

My favorite song by them is "My Forever Love."

Y'all started dating when I was in the 6th grade, LOL! :)

4:30 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Okay now why did you have to go and say that about 6th grade, making me feel all old and things?! LOL

You know, odd thing is I wasn't a huge Levert fan, but I loved Pop Goes My Mind. I did dig a lot of Gerald's solo stuff though.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home