Paula

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

La-dee-da-dee Pilates

Why am I finding out about Pilates so late?

No, I mean I knew they existed. Knew that, about three years ago, celebs were raving about how Pilates helped give them firm buns and titanium tight arms. I knew all that.

What I didn't know?

Pilates really is the shiznet!

Usually I'm quick to try out a new exercise craze.

I was first in line when they launched Hip Hop aerobics (still love that when I can find a class). Nearly broke my butt in Spinning classes (OW!). And kicked butt and got my butt kicked in Cardio Kickboxing. I even tried the Belly dancing aerobics(the jury's still out on that one).

The only thing I haven't tried is this stripper pole dancing aerobic thing.

Otherwise, if it's new and follws the no pain, no gain theory of getting in shape, I'm there!

But I always thought Pilates was like Yoga. And I DO NOT like Yoga. Un-ah, no down facing dog poses for me.

Most of the poses make my muscles tremble. They are not humanly possible and I do not find being twisted into a braided pretzel relaxing.

When Yoga made a comeback, I plugged my fingers in my ears and tried to ignore it until it went away. But it's still here! So I work around it.

When people talk about yoga and its benefits I nod, smile and pretend that I definitely must stop into their class and try it.

Uh, yeah right!

I figured Pilates was just a new twist on Yoga and thus a sneaky way to get me to try it.

But one day, while flipping through the Comcast On-Demand programming (always researching, ya know) I thought - Ooh look, they offer exercise programs.

So I tried the Pilates and LOVED it!

So now I'm taking a class at the gym.

I'm still a hard core high impact aerobic person. If I'm not gasping for breath and praying to the Gods to get me through the class, it's just not a workout.

Pilates is low impact but intense.

What's not to love about an exercise that demands that you call on every single muscle in your stomach, thighs and arms just to roll up from the floor?

2 Comments:

Blogger Varian Johnson said...

Okay, so I don't know anything about Pilates, but I did want to say that I really like your site, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on your novel(s) next year.

You have at least one fan down here in Texas, although I'm sure you'll have many, many more.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Thanks V!

You're my first comment. My new blog is so lonely!!!

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home