Paula

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Very well, thank you

Day one of the SKR went very well.

I'm prevented from using the word "excellent" because my a.m. workout was interrupted twice - both because of a potty incident.

Since I swore to myself I would not tell potty stories on the blog, I won't go there.

Let's just say, I couldn't keep my heart rate up because of disruptions.

However, the reading and writing thing are totally on track.

I got in four hours of writing and a little more than two hours of reading.

I don't know what it is. This isn't brain surgery. I haven't run across any secret formula. Yet, I feel less stress about getting my writing in.

Writing shouldn't be a chore. But, when author, Melissa Marr described how much writing is a regular part of her day it hit me that if it's a natural part of your day it's not a chore.

I believe, what I've done by putting myself on the SKR is given myself permission to write.

What's different about now versus other times I've tried...other times I'd get all freaked out when I didn't write. So then I'd think I'd have to do double the next day. God forbid a few days pass without me writing (which happened often) and then I'd be staring this huge deficit in the face.

Worst, I always felt like I had to carve out this ginormous amount of time to write straight through. Once I'm in the zone, I hate stopping.

All the while I'd be moaning about how busy I was and how I deserved to sit on my lovely buns and watch M*A*S*H reruns with the few minutes of downtime I had.

It was a mess!

Now, I look at my day in total and think - If I cannot find 4 hours within 24 to write, I have issues.

And I can't admit to having issues, because I don't have time to go to therapy!

The most liberating part of this regiment is that I no longer feel the need to write for four, five or ten hours straight. If I do an hour and need to move on to something else - say cook dinner - I do.

No worries. I'll complete the other three hours later.

Another thing, I call it quits at 1:00 a.m. no matter what!

How this regiment will be impacted when I hit my next round of edits? Meh, I'll cross that bridge when I burn it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home