Paula

Monday, November 27, 2006

Kicking and Screaming

First, let me say, normally I'm an early adopter of technology. Or...at least, I don't mind adopting things early.

When the iPod came out, I wanted it. Really wanted one. But due to general "not getting around to it-ness"I didn't buy one until the Nano came out last year. I'm glad I waited because I love the slimness of it. And knock wood, have had no issues.

But I feel myself slipping into old school mentality because Blogger has a new template and Yahoo recently updated its mail functions. And I don't wanna switch!!!

However, I realize that the easiest way to get left behind is to poo-poo new technology and/or new ways of doing things.

People don't necessarily grow old as much as they begin to get left behind because things around them speed up and change. As they maintain the death grip on albums, VCRs and rotary phones, the world passes them by.

So they only seem old when you're carrying on a conversation about the latest greatest something and they give you a blank fish-eyed stare.

This may happen to me with the new Blogger and Yahoo stuff, because dangit, I don't feel like upgrading.

Now, in my defense, here's why:

When Yahoo indicated they had a beta version of the new mail options, I gamely clicked "Sign me up, Bob," or whoever the wizard is behind the whole deal.

Okay, hate it! Absolutely hate the new mail function.

#1 The actual size of the screen left for reading the emails is much smaller because there's a permanent ad on the right hand side and a nav bar showcasing folders and such on the left.

I'm by no means ready for the Old Geezers home, but I'm no spring chicken, either. I need a full screen for my fuggin' emails!

#2 When I sign on to check email I want to CHECK email. But the new version opens a home screen with the latest headlines, forcing you to click "inbox" to actually see your messages. WTF?!?! It's a duplication of effort!

Look, I'm a very busy person. Give me my emails, NOW.

#3 Since it's the beta version, there are still some functionalities either missing or not quite ready for prime time yet. Annoying.

With that said, when I opened Blogger last week and saw that I could now switch to the "new" blogger, I was immediately annoyed.

What if I don't like it? I've been using Blogger for about four years now and have already seen it go through at least one (noticeable) upgrade.

There was a time when Blogger had a toolbar with itals, bold etc...Ummm...not, anymore. Also, there used to be a way to time stamp posts. Can't find that either!

So needless to say, I'm weary of upgrading to a version that takes even more functionality away from me. And I have tried looking for the toolbar and time stamp info. I've just never found them.

I could be wrong. Maybe this new version is the shiggity and I'll love it.

But Yahoo has pretty much ruined it for anyone wanting me to upgrade.

Now, thanks to them I've completely ruined my whole early adoption streak!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home