Paula

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Step Onto My Yard

Stomp the Yard hit theatres, yesterday.

This article is the most thorough summary of the movie, I've seen to date.

I would say I'm going to see it. But I said the same thing about Dreamgirls and haven't seen it yet. My broken promises aren't from lack of desire. We're just not big moviegoers, preferring to catch them on DVD.

Still, sight unseen, I applaud Stomp The Yard because it's a movie about young black youth and it's not revolved around fighting, guns, gangs, or the played out theory of street cred. On the contrary, Stomp, is about black college life.

The last movie about black college life was Drumline (2002) and before that, I swear it was John Singleton's, Higher Learning (1995). Of course, before that was the King of black college life movies, Spike Lee's School Daze (1988).

So about every 7-10 years, we're reminded that there is such a thing as the black college experience.

But I need to correct something I keep seeing mentioned with Stomp. Stepping is not something only done on historically black campuses. Stepping is something that comes with Black Greek life, campuses worldwide.

I pledged Alpha Kappa Alpha at James Madison University. We stepped, as did our sorors at UVA, George Mason and every other white school in Virginia that had a chapter. And despite the dwindling African American student population at JMU, black greek organizations are still kicking there. And last I stopped through (homecoming '06) were still stepping.

I just want the history straight.

For the record, the black college experience is less about attending an HBCU vs. Not. But just being black in college, period.

And here's something else, I haven't heard any article mention that black greek organziations are SERVICE organizations, not social as many white greek organizations are. Small but important fact.

Stepping, while part of the bonding experience is only ONE aspect of black greek life. Our organizations do not exist to form a step team, they exist to implement education and human service programs in the communities which their campus is located.

That distinct difference between social and service, is why members of black greeks often retain their allegiance well beyond their four year college tour. Many go on to join graduate chapters and remain active in their communities.

Okay, okay history lesson over.

Stomp The Yard is a welcome partner in the effort to explain Black Greekdom. As long as it portrays the students having aspirations beyond stepping and partying, then I'd say it's pretty realistic.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paula, thanks for setting the record straight. I'm a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity and I don't recall our ever picking members because we thought they'd be a good addition to our step team! *smile* We were more concerned that they would assist us in our community service and raise our chapter GPA! And if they could step, that was just an added bonus (and I loved to step!).

But taken in the correct context, "Stomp the Yard" was a fun hour and a half diversion.

1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home