Paula

Friday, January 25, 2008

The DRB Clique Gets A Face Lift

The cover for That's What's Up! is live and ready for public consumption.

I love my graphic covers. I still believe that I was ahead of my time. I wanted people to embrace the book because the cover looked fun and interesting and because the story described appealed to them.

Alas, the cruel reality is that photo covers are hot and my graphic covers stuck out, but didn't necessarily reel readers in the way we'd hoped.

And I'm convinced, now that my covers are photo covers, everyone will now jump on the graphic cover. They'll be everywhere driving me into madness, making me an author officially.

But until that happens. While I still have some shred of my sanity, let's adore the new cover, shall we?

You guys likey?




I do.

The title, my name and the girls are embossed.

The models represent the multi-culti nature of my series characters.

And while I'm still a die-hard, don't show me any representation of a character's face because I'd much rather visualize them myself, the girls' expressions definitely evoke the proper amount of drama that my books portray.

Here's to a new cover with the same, fun contents within.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I like them, Paula!

And, how original -- usually they hack off most of the person's face when they use a live model on the cover. Your girls have actual noses and eyes... Go figure!

I like the font they chose for the title and your name as well, very fun, and fresh looking. (I have a thing about fonts.)

--CC

9:06 AM  
Blogger Linda D. (sbk) said...

I love the new cover, Paula! I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Linda D. (sbk) said...

I love the new cover, Paula! I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

Good luck! :)

9:09 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

I'm a font fanatic too. Though the poor design team has to deal with me saying things like "I want a funky, cool font...something real teenager-y."

Bless their hearts they manage to deliver.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Jessica Burkhart said...

Love it! :)

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great cover, Paula! Congratulations! :o) Pam (wuggie norple from the blue boards)

11:02 PM  
Blogger Don Tate II said...

I do like the photo covers better, Paula. They are much more inviting and add a warmth that can't be obtained with a graphic. Congratz!

10:36 PM  
Blogger Author, Deborah J. Copeland said...

Hi, Paula

Nice cover, but personally, I feel that graphic covers rocks, especially with all the artistic details of the design.

Kickin' font. =)

~Debbie Copeland

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home