Paula

Friday, December 21, 2007

I Want The Sky, Baby

"What don't kill me, makes me stronger than be-fo'"


Who's been listening to too much American Gangster, by Jay-Z.


Mm-huh, me!


The title track is nothing short of the shiggity. Not simply because the beat is majorly old school, 70's, Shaft/blaxploitation delicious, but because I'm in a very "I want the sky, baby" state of mind. And Hov utters that during the hook, in his best Bootsy Collins impression.


Alright, if you have no idea who Bootsy Collins is or only know Shaft played by Samuel L. Jackson - please stop reading now because you're way younger than me and I've had a good night of writing and don't have the energy to search for links for a tutorial.


If you were born before the greedy 80's ride with me...


It's the end of the year and time for reflection and a little spiritual housecleaning.


I'm seriously trying to let go of some of my neuroses for '08. The only problem with that is, I want the sky, baby! And when you're shooting for the sky, it's hard to pretend you're fine with anything less. See how one begets the other ending in a vicious cycle?


I'm not big on a whole bunch of New Year's resolutions. So, I'd be insincere to start ticking off all the things I'm going to do differently, knowing the only thing that truly changes on January 1st is the date.


But here's what I can live with. For the new year, as I reach for the sky, I pledge to:


* Always uplift other writers as I promote my own books


* Channel more positive energy into new writing projects


* Shed the practice of frenetic promo (i.e. no implementing promo as if I'm playing catch up, from now on, only sewing promo seeds and watching it grow exposure)


* Chillax more! I've been working hard but not playing hard enough.


* Only drive my editor and agent crazy when I really, really, really, really...really can't help myself (really).


* Sell more books, cause... (say it with me)

I want the sky, baby!

2 Comments:

Blogger Don Tate II said...

I'm so old-school, I haven't even checked out anything recent Jay-Z. But I'll have to check out the American Gangster. And thanks for the Birthday wishes.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Don, it's a really nice CD. Grown folks rap as opposed to the lean wit it rock wit it/superman/ soulja boy dance tracks that are super popular right now.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home