Paula

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Or(ganization)gasm

I'm Type A.

I know it. Everyone around me knows it. I embrace it because that's half the battle.

So, you know I'm simply loving what Santa brought me for the holidays. A custom closet!

Woo-friggin'-hoo!

You would think Type A's would master organization without the help of some fancy schmancy closet company. But umm...no.

I have way too much on my plate and abhor domestic duties. So after I've taken precious time out of my day to organize my shoes, no way I'm going to re-do them after Princess Bea decides to play dress up and scatters them everywhere.

So my closet remains in a constant state of disarray. Until now!

The best thing about the custom job is:

1) It forced me to think about what sort of space I needed.

I've come to discover that I dislike drawer space. I tend to hide my clutter within them. And instead of putting summer things away they end up side-by-side with winter stuff making it difficult to find what I need.

So I opted for open shelving, hanging space and cubbies for my shoes (26 pair and counting).

I have so many pair of heel boots, my mom said if anyone came in they'd think I was a hooker. Hmmph, a well-dressed hooker, mind you!

2) It forced me to get rid of anything I don't currently wear.

I have no idea why, but I still had suits that I hadn't worn since I had Princess A. That's 13 years and 25 pounds ago!

Since the entire fam got custom closets, we had somewhere in the neighborhood of twenty bags of clothes to giveaway. Crazy!


3) Now, I can actually look in the closet and know what pieces of clothing I need to round it out.

No more going into the store and buying a purple shirt wondering what I have to go with it!

A) I don't need any more shirts B) What I actually need more of are jeans. Go figure. I suspected I had very few casual pants, but now I know for certain, as my two pair of jeans and one pair of cords sit lonely on the shelf among a bunch of shirts.

4) It has single handedly made my mornings more efficient.

At first, I'd get up and angst over what to wear. I'd have to scramble around the closet and my bedroom looking for items. Not anymore!

Everything is in plain view. I'm picking up a shirt, pants, socks and shoes in a matter of seconds. Not to mention, there's finally been a detante on WW III or as we call it around here, morning!

Princess Bea can now also choose whatever she wants to wear, because instead of me still having out-of-season clothes in her drawers (yes, some days to avoid argument she went to school in November in a cotton skort) only clothes fit for the weather remain on her shelves. And I only gave her two drawers opting for more shelf space so she can actually see all of her clothes.

It is friggin' awesome!!!!

I'm telling you, life can't get any better than this. It has changed our lives. No, I'm serious.

And we've coined a new phrase "closet-worthy."

The hubster spent a few hours putting his clothes away when we first got it because he realized he didn't feel every item was worthy of being in the closet.

Bingo - more giveaways!

Our closet is the least cluttered it's ever been.

Great way to start the new year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home