Paula

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Real Teen Talk: Landsdowne PL

*waves* Hi ladies! I'm posting this hoping you won't notice it's late but umm....you probably do. Sorry!

I had a great time with you, the other day, during my first live Real Teen Talk. It's visits like this that remind me why I enjoy writing for teens.

For everyone else who doesn't know what I'm talking about - I visited the Landsdowne Public Library and had the pleasure of meeting several young readers. And because I love torturing, er spreading the joy of writing to others, I did what I always do on these visits - gave them a tough writing assignment with an ungodly deadline. The ladies were tasked with writing an advice column solving an issue straight out of one of the Del Rio Bay books. Their deadline? Fifteen minutes.

The winning entry gets the spotlight here.

Ladies, just so you know, my mom thought everybody should be a winner. And that's a very mom thing to say, isn't it?

But P's a hardcore competitive person. So...an A for effort for everyone participating. Love that! But I've gotta give the top spot to...

Rena Crandell

The problems they solved weren't easy and they only had fifteen minutes to create a magazine-type advice column to share their wisdom.

In the game of Real Teen Talk there is no judgement, just an opportunity for teens to say how they might help one another through an issue. No easy task. All the ladies were great sports and took on the task willingly. And special kudos to their Librarian who took a shot at the task and tore it up! Her entry was great.

Still, I promised a winner and Rena's it. Read on...

Caught Up!

[The PROBLEM]Dear Real Teen Talk,
My boyfriend saw me talking to another guy and got jealous. As I was trying to explain he smacked me. He apologized right after. He's never hit me before and I believe that he's sorry but people say if he hits you once it'll happen again. Do I give him another chance?


Step To Him
Go up to him and tell him that he really hurt your feelings and that he should handle things more maturely.

We're done-ish
Leave him alone, for like three days. Let him earn your trust back.

This is the last straw
What I'd do is...call him up and tell him to stop being insecure or you're out. Let him know, if he has you already it should be no problem when you talk to other people.
P.S. Love to Saquetta Crandell and Valyncia Davis!! You guys were a lot of fun. Of course I was going to shout you out, even if you didn't win! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home