Paula

Friday, November 27, 2009

Time To Read

I know Stephen King says that serious writers should read four hours a day, but I'm venturing a guess here - the serious writers he's talking about are either:

NOT mothers.

- or-

DON'T have full-time jobs

Since I am and do, the luxury of reading time comes down to this - sleep or read. And funny thing, I usually choose sleeping. However, I did give up two solid nights to finish King's latest tome du jour, Under the Dome. Uncle Stevie, you're welcome.

Anyway, these days my reading is done in mad obsessive spurts. One, because if I take too long it won't get finished, two, it's a kind of escape and three, were I to read every day like that, I'd be horribly sleep deprived.

My lack of time to read more doesn't mean I don't have a whole slew of books I'm eyeing to put on the list. So, as the year comes to a slow wind I'm looking to beef up my reading over the holidays and beyond.

Suggestions for my TBR list are welcome.

Looking for Adult and YA.

When it comes to my adult lit, I like thrillers, suspense and true crime novels. Non-fiction, in general, doesn't really interest me. That's what good TV docus are for, in my opinion.

And girlfriend and Chick lit don't interest me as much because it's too close to the type of YA I write. So reading them feels like work research or something. I over analyze!

For YA I'm a bit more open to whatever's good. Be it a Scott Westerfeld fantasy or a Sara Zarr-type novel, I'm down if you say it's good (and mean it!). Not looking for anyone to pimp a book to me. If you sincerely liked it, suggest it. I'll be highly pissed if I read something that ends up being a waste of my time just because someone wants to hype a friend's novel.

Don't do it!

Otherwise, I'm a pretty easy person to please.

Whaddya reading and will I like it?

4 Comments:

Anonymous CC said...

Okay, in accordance with your likes/dislikes, I'll take a stab.

THE RUINS, by Scott Smith is a favorite of mine (and available in mass-market pb for cheap.) Four recently graduated college students go on a lazy Mexican vacation and while there travel to some Mayan ruins. Then all hell breaks loose. It's got four POVs -- all distinct -- and I found it riviting. BUT if you do not enjoy being inside a character's head for the majority of a book (as opposed to outright action) then it might not be for you. Still, this book makes me happy.

I also recently read and liked Kathryn Stockett's, THE HELP. But, this is more lit fiction (do you like lit fiction??) about three southern women in the 1960's.

I'm reading the YA, IF I STAY, by Gayle Forman right now, but I'm not into it far enough to know if I love it yet.

Hmmm...I don't think I'm being very helpful... :)

5:17 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Lit reccs are welcome. Absolutely.
Already read The Ruins and really liked it! Read that based on a King blurb. Dragged my hubs to see the movie when it came out too. LOL.

I'll look into the others. The Help sounds good.

Thanks CC!

5:44 PM  
Blogger Karen Strong said...

Hey Paula, I still cannot believe that you read that HUGE King book in like 3 days, LOL.

Hmmm...let's see. You may have read these already but I actually enjoyed THE MAZE RUNNER by James Dashner (it's got that kind of King flair) and JUMPING OFF SWINGS by Jo Knowles (more of a Sara Zarr vibe).

You should also check out any Neal Shusterman books. His latest is EVERWILD which is book 2 of a trilogy. The first one, EVERLOST was pretty good.

10:47 PM  
Blogger MissA said...

The Help is supposed to be really good. I have a copy, but I havne't read it yet.
For YA I recommend Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork, Whale Talk by Chris Crutcher, One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams Garcia (once published in Jan.), Does My Head Look Big in This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah, Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon, A Wish After Midnight by Zetta Elliott and Liar by Justine Labalestier :)

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home