Paula

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Get out of my head and onto the page!

Rough writing day.

My characters are blabbing inside of my head. But when I sit down to write...zilch. Goose egg! Blank page!

Now, let me note that a bad day of writing beats a good day at my full-time job, everytime. But bad writing days are rough on the ol'noodle.

I can't stand looking back on the day only to realize that after six or eight hours I've only produced a few pages. Today, few = five pages.

It makes my head hurt.

::sigh::

It's the numbers game. And you can't write by the numbers. If you could we'd take Mathlish or Englith or some other funky hybrid of Math and English, in school.


Because helping aspiring writers is the aim of my blog - along with a few mindless rambles about my fave pop culture issues - let me share some advice. When having a rough writing day, the following have been found to be ineffective in producing good material:


* Crying

* Screaming

* Crying and screaming

* Chanting "get out of my head" to the tune of Old McDonald Had a Farm

* Sacrificing a small farm animal

* Pleading to a higher being and pronouncing all the things you're willing to give up if only the story would flow like the river Jordan

* Dancing naked to Ciara's "Get up"

* Bribing your ten year-old neighbor with leftover Halloween candy

Since I've tested these methods and know for sure they don't work, save yourself the trouble. Try a more productive approach, like...let the words flow from your fingers no matter how bad the drivel.

You can always fix it later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home