Paula

Friday, September 29, 2006

Giant Storm

Everyone should have a whimsical grocery store story to tell. You know, the kind where people say, "I was at the grocery store one day and in walks the Dalai Lama..."

I'm not sure where people with these type of stories shop. The most exciting thing that has ever happened to me at the grocery store was when Turkey Hill ice cream was buy one, get one free.

I know, I'm so easy to please!

Okay, well I finally have a grocery story to tell. Not sure how whimsical it is though.

Last night, me and the fam stopped by Giant (local Maryland-based chain). My intent was to quickly score two cases of Deer Park water. I'm a Fiji chick when given a choice - it's hands down the most pure, spring water I've ever had. But Deer Park was on sale for $3.99 a case.

I know, right! I had to snag me some.

The hubster double parks and I roll inside only to discover, Deer Park! It's all gone.

I had just been there the night before and they had a ton. I shushed the voice nagging me that I should have picked up some the day before, reminding it that I didn't because I had been on my way to cheer practice. I didn't have time to deal with dinner time lines at the grocery store.

So, I go back out the car and tell the hubster that there were none near the front.

He volunteered to head back inside and check the water aisle.

Shortly after he goes inside, Princess A points out how quickly the clouds above are rolling overhead. Not unusual. I figured the storm was pushing itself out.

Uhhh, no.

Two seconds later the truck begins rocking. Yes, rocking!!

We have a heavy Expedition. So note how strong the winds must be to rock that bad boy!!

Suddenly, things that have no business being airborne are: the trash can next to our truck, the overhead ports that protect the grocery carts from the weather, trees!

For the first time in my life I was in the midst of a tornado!

It was single-handedly the Scariest.Experience.Ever.

Princess A and I are scared shitless. We're staring out of the windows at things flying across the parking lot and I'm wondering if the truck is going to completely flip over.

Princess Bea, who had just seconds before pitched a fit to get out of her carseat was now running back to the carseat as fast as her two-year-old legs could carry her.

Okay, I can't lie. That was funny.

She was being such a brat before about wanting to get out that I let her, to quiet her down. But that car seat was suddenly safety for her.

Too bad I didn't have anywhere to run. All I could do was keep an eye out for anything that might be ready to smash into our windows.

Luckily, it was all over in about sixty seconds.

Shaken up but unharmed, Princess A and I stuck our hands out in front of us to see who was shaking harder.

When the hubster emerged from the store about two minutes later, there was a crowd in front of the store assessing the damage.

Maryland is fairly natural disaster neutral. You can imagine how exciting (scary as hell) this is.

Marylanders close schools when there's more than an inch of snow on the ground.

We arrogantly thumb our nose at Tornado and Hurricane warnings because 9.5 times out of 10, by the time it reaches us, it's nothing more than heavy rain and wind.

We're spoiled.

But Mother Nature bitch slapped us into reality last night.

None of the meteorologists had called this. As a matter of fact, they didn't begin using the words Tornado Watch until the damn thing had already touched down in two areas!

Un-huh, watch that sucker rip through your yard.

I'm a Maryland native. So yes, I'll admit to taking storm warnings rather lightly.

I laugh out-loud at people who run to the grocery store during winter storm warnings. It's ridiculous. I mean, honestly. If you can't make it to the store to pick up your TP and milk in two inches of snow you deserve to be ass out of food during the "storm."

But, man, Twisters ain't no joke.

New respect for Mother Nature? You betcha.

Mother Nature - 1
Maryland - 0

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home