Paula

Monday, March 26, 2007

Scene It: VA Book 2007

I had such a good time at the Virginia Book of the Festival.

The scenic drive and the mountains, which stared back at me from my hotel room window, were lovely reminders of my time at good ol JMU. As a young sorority girl, about this time of year I'd start slacking, choosing to gaze and mind wander on the quad rather than sit in a stuffy classroom, learning.

Kiddies, do not try this at home. It takes a delicate balance of cramming and creativity to slack accurately.

One of the things I enjoyed about my weekend in Wahoo-ville, was the fetivals structure. Although many of the events were held at the Omni, there were lots of events occurring throughout the town. So every corner you turned, there was another panel or workshop.

Talk about surrounding yourself with the craft. It was a writer's dream!

The panel, which I shared with authors Doris Gwaltney (lovely lady) and Sara Holmes(very sweet) and agent, Laura Rennert (love agents with a wicked sense of humor and Laura's got one) was held at the Gravity Lounge.

This place is super hip. Books everywhere, a nicely stocked bar (no teetotalers allowed), a stage, and the entire place appropriately lit - as in dim but not stubbing your toe dark. The only thing missing were the hipsters clicking their fingers showing their appreciation for the spoken word of the day.

Sara, Doris and I suffered no delusions. We were aware that many people showed up for the panel to hear from Laura. Which, wasn't a bad thing. Indeed many of the questions were more agent-friendly than author. But we got in our fair share of commentary about life as authors and the road to publication. It made for a healthy balance.

The panel was my only obligation. The hubster and I spent a lot of time walking around the town, stuffing our faces and taking naps.

Hey, we have two kids and anytime we can sleep uninterrupted...we do!

So, I come back home well-rested - there's something I can't say very often - and to great news from my editor. So Not The Drama received a good review from Publishers Weekly.

I am so digging this author's life stuff.

Yes, please feel free to point me to this blog post and the above statement the next time I come crying about the hardships of the craft. By all means!

Such reminders are necessary to keep us sane.

Oh and if anyone has an e-copy of the PW review, can they send it to me? I cancelled my subscription last month (figures).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home