Paula

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Pt 1

So Not The Drama is officially, officially on its own now.

On Saturday, I had my debut signing and launch party to introduce the book to friends, family and curious passersby in Annapolis Mall.

I promise, pictures are forthcoming.

Until then, picture this...

Tiny table off to the right of the Borders cash register.

A table of So Not The Drama copies.

Me, sitting behind it, waiting.

But before I had the chance to wonder if I'd be sitting there for a full hour, alone, a little lady came to the table and introduced herself. She was a classmate of my daughter's. We chatted a bit and she went to purchase her book.

Next thing I know, MADNESS thanks in very large part to my favorite t(w)eens, my cheer squad.

To say that my cheer squad drew attention is an understatement.

One of my fellow coaches had organized the girls and made sure they all arrived at the same time. So as I'm signing a book (believe it or not, of someone I didn't know) they're silently lining up off to my left.

How you can line up nearly 20 t(w)eens silently is a mystery to me. But it was done, because when I looked up from signing the book ::SURPRISE:: they were there.

It was the sweetest sight my eyes ever did see!

Chaos ensued, shortly thereafter.

But in the midst of chaos, I was thrilled to meet LydaP from the BlueBoard and Diana Peterfreund, author of Secret Society Girl swung through.

And why? Because YA authors rock!!!

Borders was not prepared for the unknown debut, YA author to cause pandemonium. But with my girls giggling, chatting and milling around the tight area of the register, things escalated to a minor stir.

My apologies to the poor Borders customers who weren't there for DRAMA. In the confusion, my girls were heading to the register in the wrong direction.

Soon, people passing by in the mall were looking through the windows of Borders wondering what the heck was going on.

In addition to my girls, other people began showing up for me. I was speechless.

My girls, I was prepared for.

But I had half a dozen teen girls, who I didn't know, buy the book. It floored me! It also felt pretty darn awesome.

Borders ran out of books.

They had 31 copies in stock and no doubt figured they'd end the day with 21. But they ended up having to buy books from me.

Now, that felt sweet!!!

Final total: 55 copies of So Not The Drama sold and one elated, but growing sleepy author.

And the day was nowhere near over...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home