Paula

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Pt 2

(I'll admit I'm at a loss on how to make the Kodak Gallery photos larger. Please send your vision bill to me after straining to see these. LOL)

So after leaving the Borders signing on Saturday, I went to my mom's for a few hours to max until party time.

Already, I was starting to feel the day come down on me.

Note to self: Don't work out at 6:30 a.m. on a day that you have two book promo events!

Admitedly, I was feeling frazzled by the time I got to the party. But, I still had a blast and here were my favorite parts:

* Watching the Hubster play Julie, the Cruise Director. Nothing like a man who can work a room.




* When the pastor blessing the books attributed them to my mom instead of me. Hey, mom, you're an author! I know I wasn't the only one in the room snickering.



* Seeing a sea of people mixing, mingling, wining and dining. It looked like a great party...too bad I never got any wine or dine.






* Meeting fellow 2K7 author, Laura Bowers and her hubby. So cool when people are willing to travel just for little ol me. Err, that's not Laura's husband below. That's Secret Society Girl, author, Diana Peterfreund.



*Speaking of traveling, several of my best friends came up for the party. Nise rolled down from the Dee dot Cee. My girl Karen from NC; my girl, Nick flew in from Tampa and my front Leia - heretofore known as Gayle - came up from VA. As Whodini once said, "Friends. How many of us have them?" Me, I do!!







* My cheer fam giving me a group hug when I became noticeably cranky. Sorry, guys, I was hella tired.




* Diana Peterfreund gave me an Advanced copy of her sequel, Under the Rose. I went all school-girl giggly like I tend to do around books. Oh, admit it, you're so jealous, people!




* The fact that Diana spent most of her day in Annapolis, because she also came down for the Borders signing. Have I said lately how much the YA community rocks? Have I? Huh? Have I? This pix below represents where I was most of the party.



* Having a very classic family moment trying to take a picture with my aunts and cousins. As they argued around me about where people should sit and stand, I turned to my one aunt, who helped me manage some book biz earlier and said "You're not managing this." And I don't know what she whispered to my other aunt but we were camera ready within seconds.

Told you, I was getting cranky. Not a good look. But this is a handsome shot.




* I heard the food was really good. So even though I didn't taste it, I'll have to say the food was still a great part of the night - taken care of by Three Harrison's Catering.



* My friend Meg must have snapped a bajillion shots as the day's official paparazzi. Did I mention she's a friend and we didn't pay her? And yet, she took photos at both Borders and the release party. Some things can still amaze me and friendship is one of them. Look, she managed to get into a photo!!



* My cousin Raheem did a little Hip Hop for us. He was such a good sport. We could't get the sound system to work. And you know us creative types - want everything just right for our art. Still, he winged it for us and did his thing.



* My special gift to my guests was a performance by Princess A and her friend, Lady A. I figured people would much rather hear from real teens than me reading a chapter. And the girls were great! We rehearsed once a week for a month and they really captured So Not The Drama's characters.

Our narrator, my friend, Mary, introduces...


Lizzie


& Mina


Tensions flare


* I got to meet Nova, he of the witty blog that cracks me up!



* We sold out another venue. Page's Bookstore was the night's bookseller and she sold 62 books that night leaving the crowd hungry for more DRAMA. Hopefully everyone who didn't get one will still go out and scoop up a copy.

* When a friend of my mom and her granddaughter came up to me excitedly to relay they'd both started So Not The Drama earlier that day and were enjoying it. The granddaughter was 13 and she asked if she could take a picture with me. Me? She had the brightest smile on her face like she'd just discovered the coolest thing in the world. The fact that, that "thing" was my book was...priceless.

* Bringing some closure to this part of the journey. I feel like I've sent So Not The Drama out into the world well prepared.



The road ahead is paved with book festivals and speaking opportunities. Oh, and there's the little matter of that sequel in December.

I've got a cover to share, soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home