Paula

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Stop! This means Me

Apparently, some reporters from the New York Times have been totally meddeling in my business and decided that it was high time someone kept me from self-destructing. This article, was definitely talking to me.

I proudly wear the crown of the multi-taskers. Most Multi-taskers do. We are never ashamed of our unique talent to send an email, talk on the phone and polish off that memo to fellow co-workers about being better at sensitive listening.

What? You mean everyone doesn't attempt to kill two birds with one stone?

Reading the newspaper and listening to voice mails?

Balancing the checkbook and my department's budget at the same time? What? It means I only need to crunch numbers once that day!

Well, apparently, multi-tasking - if done at all - should be left to the very young. According to the article, they can recover faster from distractions. For those older than twenty-five, too much multi-tasking makes your brain or explode or something like that.

I can't remember, because I was reading the article and on the phone.

Seriously, I've already recognized that I need to slow down.

The evidence for me is my memory.

I used to have a sharp memory. But now, not so much.

I'm willing to admit that it's likely due to over multi-tasking. During my annual physical the Doc's explanation was, "Well people's memory weaken as they get older."

I do NOT like that theory.

It's not like I'm 80!

So yes, it's the multi-tasking, definitely.

I think I've gotten a little better.

I try to check emails and such in one block then head back to work. And during my early morning writing sessions I don't open email at all.

And let me tell you, that is a huge accomplishment!

But fellow Multi-taskers, let's pledge to slow down our juggling acts.

We need an oath.

I'll take a crack at it.

We, who juggle tasks in an effort to be more efficient promise to...

Hold up...I should probably check this email.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your message, it tells how you feel about yourself.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home