Paula

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

TRW: Giving up Creative Control

Hello, from Teen Read Week.

I trust you've been visiting your local libraries and partaking in some of the goodly author talks being presented in your area.

::motherly stare to detect truth telling::

My visits to Catonsville and Randallstown libraries were fun. Even though the teens at Randallstown didn't show up until the last fifteen minutes, it was all good.

For this year's TRW I'm doing an Extreme Author Challenge. With only 15 minutes (deadlines are part of our job as writers, no?) the group must write a mini-chapter of So Not the Drama.

Yes, P is giving up control of her characters and letting the readers do with them what they want. ::gulp::

Well not allll of the control. I've chosen the chapter. They get to create an alternate ending.

You know, it's not nearly as painful as I thought it would be. It's actually kind of fun to see what other people make your characters do.

Confession: I took a little, teeny pleasure in seeing some of the readers squirm.

They quickly realized it's a bit stressful to write something for public consumption. There were a couple of deer in the headlights, last night, as they tried to create the "perfect" sentence.

I'm excited to debut the mini-chapters the libraries have produced during my visits.

Reisterstown and Woodlawn are on deck!

So be sure to check the Clique Lounge on Friday to read the chaps and vote for your fave. Voting stays open until next Monday.

The winning branch gets a pizza party on P.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home