Paula

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Ten Questions That Rock - Laurie Stolarz' Project 17

So here it is about ten days shy of winter and already MD is bracing for its second snow. Second!
They're even using the "B" word for this next one. That's right, BLIZZARD. I haven't seen a blizzard since the early 90's. So I'm stocked up on my TP and milk and ready for anything.

Give me your best, Momma Nature.

Meanwhile, Laurie Stolarz is hanging out in the Clique Lounge with me. Laurie's YA thriller Project 17 is a perfect snowstorm read.

Laurie, I hope you brought hot chocolate. That and a good book are the only things you need to get you through a Nor'easter.

Here we go...


If you could enter your MC into a MTV-style Celebrity Deathmatch, what protagonist would you challenge and why?

LS: I think Derik LaPointe would do great on Fear Factor.

Shoes say a lot about a person, what type of shoe are you?

LS: I’ll take the comfy, cushy Uggs, thank you. I also like designer heels, but I don’t pay designer prices.

TCL Says: Just bought myself a pair of Uggs, few months ago. God, but they are comfortable!!

What type of writer are you: plot-driven or character-driven?

LS: Both. I start with plot because that helps me see a through-line. It keeps me focused, thinking about the story arc, the rising & falling tension, and the climax. It also helps me consider motivation and smaller plot-strands – and how each plot strand helps support the overall through-line. As I write my novel, I get to know my main character. I’ll then go through and rewrite intensively for character.

Word association time. What do you think when I say:

Chick-lit: a square, hard-shelled piece of gum.

Best seller: The independent bookstore in the next town over – that’s what it’s called.

Best Band Ever: It depends on what my mood is. I honestly like all types of music and I can’t narrow it down to one single band or artist. There are way too many good ones – way too many who continue to reinvent themselves in interesting and innovative ways.

Most rockin’ author: Rockin’ author? I don’t know, does Steven Tyler write?

Name the Top 3 books on your TBR List:

Soul to Soul by Gary Zukav
Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer
Luxe by Anna Godbersen

If you had anything to do with it, what would the next hot lit trend be?

LS: Spirituality. Teens questioning the meaning of life and their place in it.

What celeb would you love to see play your MC on the big or small screen and why?

LS: I can totally picture Chad Michael Murray playing Derik LaPointe.

Whether it’s because you admire their work or adore them, who’s your author crush?

LS: No author crushes. Actors, however, I have many. John Cusack tops that list.

What TV show do you watch that you’re ashamed to admit liking?

LS: I have no shame. I love reality TV – the cheesier the better. So, yes, that means I was totally get glued to things like The Surreal Life, Rock of Love, and My Fair Brady.

SSP: Tell the cliquesters why your book should be in their TBR list.

LS: It’s guaranteed to terrify. There are also bits of humor and romance thrown in for good measure.

Guaranteed to terrify, the three words known to push a self-admitted Stephen King junkie into a purchase. You know the drill...say it with me, "cop that joint."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home