Paula

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Ten-Questions-That-Rock GCC Style: Chicks With Sticks

Have you wondered why no Ten Questions That Rock, lately? Don't ask. Poor Elizabeth was too nice to cyber smack me and point out I hadn't profiled her latest in the Chicks with Sticks series. Am I the only person who thinks that's a hella cool name for a series? And it's not what you think it is, either (naughty, naughty).

Well, better late than never...I present, Elizabeth Lenhard!



What protag would you want on your Celeb Deathmatch tag team and why?

EL: You'd think I'd want to be on a deathmatch tag team with Tay, because she's definitely the badass of the four Chicks with Sticks--a tattooed skateboarder that nobody messes with. But actually, I'd pick the flighty flower girl, Bella. She'd win with her charm--and maybe an innocent accident involving a knitting needle.

Shoes say a lot about a person, what type of shoe are you?

EL: I'm a chunky Mary Jane -- cute but comfy.

What type of writer are you: plot-driven or character-driven?

EL: I've worked very hard to become a plot-driven writer. Because you can't tell a story if there's no story to tell.


Word association time. What do you think when I say:
Chick-lit-- indulgence
Best seller -- My dream!
Best Band Ever -- Ever?!? The Beatles, I guess!
Most rockin’ author -- at the moment--Ellen Potter. I just tore through her Olivia Kidney trilogy.


Name the Top 3 books on your To Be Read (TBR) List

EL: The Myth of the Simple Machines, a book of poems by my friend Laurel Snyder
The Stephanie Meyer books (I want to know what all the hype is about!)
The Book Thief

TCL Says: Same here on the Meyer books. I've been meaning to pick up one.

If you had anything to do with it, what would the next hot lit trend be?

EL: Books about knitters, of course! It'd be nice to be ahead of the game. ;-)

What celeb would you love to see play your MC on the big or small screen and why?

EL: Funny, I've never thought about that! My main character is Scottie, an angsty everygirl with an inside edge to her. Maybe Evan Rachel Wood. I like the lightness and darkness of her.

Whether it’s because you admire their work or adore them, who’s your author crush?

EL: I don't know if it's a crush, but I do think if we lived in the same city, I'd be friends with Sarah Dessen. We have a lot in common -- we're the same age, both have baby girls, live in the South, and, obviously, we both write YA lit (though only one of us is a huge bestseller, thus far!) She's so talented, yet so humble. And her blog is very funny -- full of personal foibles.


What TV show do you watch that you’re ashamed to admit liking?

EL: America's Next Top Model. My husband is mortified every time I turn it on and I sort of am, too. But I can't seem to stop watching! The drama! The silliness! The pretty pictures. The catfights! It's fabulous.

TCL Says: Look me up, we can IM during episodes.

SSP: Tell the cliquesters why your book should be on their TBR list.

EL: The Chicks have a really special, uncommon friendship, and when you read my books, you feel like you're part of that friendship. There's no backstabbing, no mean girls. It's a feel-good book.

Which isn't to say the Chicks are all sweetness and light and earnestness. (Boring!) No, there's plenty of angst and drama, not to mention goofy adventures, witty repartee and even some broad comedy.

And then there's that crafty angle (with knitting patterns and projects at the back of the book, no less). If you're a knitter, these characters are going to feel like soul sisters. And if you're not, believe me, your fingers will be itching for some yarn and sticks by the time you get to the epilogue.


Well, P couldn't knit her way out of a paperbag. But that's no reason not to check out this cool series. Cop it for the holidays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home