Paula

Monday, July 28, 2008

Straight, No Chaser - Lara Zeises

Love or fame? Your career or your Boo? Which would you choose?

While some actually sacrifice one over the other, those who don't mind being insane simply try to balance them. Still, it's a choice that many of us have had to face at some point. So may as well start them out young dealing with it.

Lara Zeises, writing as her alter ego Lola Douglas, tackles the issue in More Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet, the sequel to True Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet. In More Confessions a seventeen year old must choose between life in the glam lane or love in a small town.

Whoa. See, I'd totally choose Hollywood...well, unless he was really, really, really...really hot!

Cool side note: True Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet was made into a Lifetime movie, premiering August 9th. Go forth and read then watch.

Hey, Lara dish with us!

Clichés

Which cliché best describes you as an author?

LZ: I’m the Kathy Griffin of the YA genre. I’m totally a D-list author clawing my way up the ladder.

TLC Says: Aren't we all, Lara. Aren't we all.

Stereotypes

Complete this sentence: I’m a total….from my BLANK to my BLANK, I could write the book on being BLANK

LZ: I’m a total television addict … From my obsessive love of competitive reality TV shows to my appreciation for quality scripted fare like FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS and THE OFFICE, I could write the book on what to watch and when.


Pop Culture References

Using either television, film or literary references, give us the one or two sentence pitch you’d give film agents:


LZ: My Starlet books are the Princess Diaries series meets LITTLE GIRL LOST (Drew Barrymore’s autobiography about her struggle with addiction)


If you did an informercial for your book, who would be the perfect celeb to serve as the pitch guy or gal? And why?


LZ: Lindsay Lohan, naturally. Most readers think she’s who I based Morgan Carter on anyway, even though I use Drew Barrymore quotes at the beginning of each installment. The thing is, this generation only knows Drew as one of Charlie’s Angels. They don’t remember the Just Say No spokeskid having to confess to a drug and alcohol addiction.

Stalkerazzi

Complete this sentence: It’s a good thing I’m not a stalker or else INSERT NAME OF CELEB MINOR OR MAJOR would be in trouble because


LZ: It’s a good thing I’m not a stalker or else Alton Brown would be in trouble, because I am obsessed with GOOD EATS and I just want him to be my friend. And to cook for me. But mostly to be my friend.

History Lesson

A lot of times, authors start a book with one concept in mind (especially us pantsters) and end up with a totally different story. For your most current book tell us where you story started and ultimately ended.


LZ: My book started out with me re-imaging Drew Barrymore’s life and ended up mirroring Lindsay Lohan’s.


Those crazy desert Island Questions

You’re on a desert island with a cell phone. Miraculously it has two bars and enough battery life to make one three minute call. Who do you call?


LZ: I should probably say my fiancé, but the truth is he’s kind of scatterbrained and would totally botch a rescue mission. And I couldn’t call my mom, because she’d burn all three minutes talking about herself before I could disclose my location. So I’m going to go with my best friend Candace, because she’s saved my ass more times than I care to count, and she wouldn’t stop until she brought me home safely. She’s really the best friend I’ve ever had.


If someone were deserted on an island and came across your book washed ashore, what’s the one thing they’d take from it and want to share with the world once they got back to civilization?


LZ: “You should be careful when using pop culture references in your writing – they date rather quickly!”


Which celebrity would you like to see put on a bus and dropped in the desert? And why?

LZ: The Olsen twins. Because then I’d never have to see their fake, duck-bill pouty smiles ever again

1 Comments:

Blogger Olugbemisola (Mrs.Pilkington) said...

fantastic, fun interview!

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home