Paula

Monday, January 15, 2007

Confessions of a Hoar...der

I don't know when it happened.

I used to be a voracious reader who prided herself on finishing every book I started. Even after having my oldest daughter, I still managed to read a book a month, if not more.

As a matter-of-fact, I remember how sweet Sundays were. Me reading all day, Princess A drawing or playing nearby, the hubster watching, fill-in-some-sport.

Life was good.

But somewhere between becoming a writer and having my youngest daughter, I went from constant reader to grade A hoarder.

It's a serious problem.

Part of it's lack of time. I know that's lamer than lame, but it's the truth.

Another issue, dinero or rather lack of it. I'm meeting so many great authors. Even if I had the sort of time I used to five years ago, my wallet can't withstand the number of good books at my fingertips.

I still buy plenty of books. But I'm reading less then ever before. Worse, I'm starting the books, but few get finished if I don't read them in one sitting.

Finishing them in one sitting isn't an issue. It's usually how I read a book. I'm one of those people who gets completely engrossed and hates to put it down. So on a good, long Saturday or Sunday with few interruptions - finishing an entire book (no matter the length) is really not a feat at all.

It's finding that good long Saturday or Sunday with few interruptions that's near impossible. Think needle in a haystack.

The result - a lot of unfinished books!

Don't ask why I start a new one instead of finishing the one I started - that's part of the hoarding sickness, I guess.

There's, I was a Teenage Popsicle, sitting atop my desk.

Now and Zen, sitting next to it.

Drama High waiting in the wings.

The Salem Witch Tryouts - which has gone MIA, victim to one of the hubsters massive clean ups. I have a sneaky suspicion it's in the downstairs coat closet.

And, Golden, which I started right before my last set of edits and have yet to get back to.

Some of the hottest books of '06 await my attention. I mean, some of them I've had since summer! So, what did I go and do Saturday?

Yup. I went and bought more!

I picked up Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr and, because I can no longer resist the ravings about it, Scott Westerfield's Uglies.

Here's what I've learned about myself, recently...

I love going to the bookstore. I love being around books and around people who like books.

It's near impossible for me to pick up only ONE book, each time I go...thus, one of the reasons the books are piling up.

Note to self, consider really only getting one. The reward for finishing - ding,ding,ding,ding,ding - another one!

When I'm working on a manuscript I cannot read YA fiction. Ummm, yeah, that's a problem since writing is ahh, my job! But when I find time to read at all while deep on a project, pretty rare, that's when I squeeze in my adult fiction faves.

I'm becoming overwhelmed with my choices. Used to be I kept to my horror, suspense, true crime and detective novels. Broadening my horizons has led to some great finds. Still, I need a better system.

First let me say, the thought of requiring a system to ensure I a) don't go broke buying so many great books and b) actually read the ones I purchase, freaks me the hell out.

Reading is about escape. I have enough fuggin' systems to help keep my life in semi-order. I do not want one for the one luxury I've always cherished.

Grr!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home