Paula

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Book Stuff

Feels like it's been forever since I've blogged about books and writing.

And it's not that there's nothing to share. On the contrary, it's been quite busy, lately. But I'm finding it a challenge to be witty on the blog, witty in my books, informative at the FTJ and be a publicity ho.

So, because I know you all are just on the edge of your seat wondering what I've been up to, here goes:

Edits for Don't Get It Twisted

DONE!!! D-O-N-E and it feels so good.

I didn't even have to pull very many late-nights for this round. And anytime I can stay up past 1 a.m. simply to watch TV, life is good.

Whenever I'm in edit mode I'm in awe of my own writing. No, not because it's that good, but because it's still really odd to know that I created the words. It pretty much reinforces the fact that much of the writing comes from my muse and I'm merely the vehicle used to get it on paper.

I wish I could take credit. I really do. But hell, I read the work sometimes and think, "You witty little devil you. This ain't half bad," as if I weren't the creator.

I won't go so far as to say that my muse's whispering is like being possessed. But, considering I suffer from anxiety that I'll never again produce anything as good as the previously finished project, there's absolutely some level of disconnect between the section in my brain where the story is conceived to the part of my brain that types it out.

If there weren't, wouldn't I be more confident that I could produce the exact same level of prose each time?

::shrug::

But edits are done. Next, copy edits.

I don't know about other writers. But I love CE time. Or rather I love that I'm only proofing and double checking vs. writing.

Nice brain break.

On the promo stroll

Let's face it, promoting your book is totally like being on the stroll. You're waving your wares in the faces of reviewers, potential readers, and other influencers hoping someone likes what they see and asks you to hop in the car.

And although I am flat out refusing to turn my life over to promoting, it has to be done at some level.

So I've spent the last few weeks sending out press releases, making follow up calls (blegh!) and identifying as many outlets as possible to get me and/or So Not The Drama some ink.

I'll wait until I have clips to share hits. But, so far, I'm not doing half bad.

I'm comfortable with the level of promo I'm doing until I hear about some YA success story, then I immediately panic that I'm not doing nearly enough.

It's dreadful!

What pulls me back to reality is the fact that I must have a life outside of these books. I could easily let writing them, editing them and promoting them consume 24 hours...well, 20, a girl has to sleep!

But I won't. So for now, promo's on target.

The future of the Del Rio Bay Clique series

Remember I mentioned that I had some really good news but couldn't share, yet? Well, that good news is, the DRB Clique series will live beyond December's Don't Get it Twisted.

Kensington will release three more books beyond TWISTED.

Cooly, huh?

It's still sinking in. The news is pretty fresh off the presses. Actually, it's not even on the presses yet. But it is final.

What's good for me is not having to climb Mt. Killanocontract. As I've said several times before, be it the way my brain is wired or because I'm just stuck in my ways - writing under contract is best for me, at this time. It's easier for me to maintain a writing career knowing someone has a vested interest in the work.

So I have three books to produce over the next year or so. And being a true pantser, I have no friggin clue what they'll be about. But I look forward to finding out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home