Paula

Monday, February 12, 2007

Thirteen Again

I'm not going to re-hash the Grammy's. It was neither the best or worst I've seen.

But I've been driving my family nuts counting down to The Police reunion that tonight's Grammy's brought.

I was giddy like a kid running to an ice cream truck when the clock struck 8:00. And I wasn't disappointed. The Police performed my favorite song!!!

Roxanne

Can I tell you how pissed I would have been if they'd played the maniacally mainstream, commerical favorite, Every Breath You Take?!

Nice song. But I'm glad they gave us a taste of something besides this totally overexposed diddy.

If you weren't a product of the 80's, I'm not sure you can appreciate the significance of The Police performance to me (and I suppose some one else out there must have been excited about it, like I was).

With MTV blasting music in our faces 24-7, 80's t(w)eens sucked up everything musically the station gave. And what they gave was lots of Rock and Pop bands.

It wasn't until much much later that I gave MTV a serious gas face for being so exclusionary in their video picks.

So yes, I loved The Police, Corey Hart and other artists like them. It's not like I owned any of their albums. It was about whatever single was played on the television.

Just so happens that I only like one Corey Hart song (I wear my sunglasses at night) while I like a hefty handful of The Police tunes. Plus, I love Sting's music in general.

Oh, and yes, I completely and thoroughly embarrassed Princess A in Wal-Mart, one day, when I lustily belted out Corey Hart's song as it played over the PA system.

It's just anytime I hear, what I've come to term MTV songs and any old school rap, it takes me back to a time when my biggest worry was whether or not my crush liked me or not. Music's powerful like that, you know?

So while I sat and watched the Grammy's in its entirety (while reading Forty Million Dollar Slaves by Willam C. Rhoden), I really only tuned in to watch The Police. It was worth the three and a half hours, just to capture 1983 for a few moments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home