Paula

Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Promotion Trail Vol. 1

If you speak to an empty room, does that actually count as a promotional event?

I kid. I kid.

I spoke about writing for Teens today at the 5th Annual African American Lit Conference. There were about 10-12 people there, including the Hubster who is becoming quite the Lit Manager/Advisor.

I was actually pleased to see that many people there because...

* My workshop was a last minute addition (it did manage to make the conference program, thankfully)

* It was at 10:00 a.m. and the very first activity of the day

* 10:00 a.m. on a college campus on a Saturday is called "wake-up" time

* The conference itself went on until 6 p.m. So I figured people would be straggling in throughout the entire day. It was a crap shoot who might wander in that early.

I'm glad I accepted the invitation. It gave me an opportunity to check out this annual event for myself. I'd do it again next year, perhaps during one of the mid-day slots to ensure a little more traffic. I understand it draws hundreds over the course of the eight hours.

It also gave me the chance to get on to University of Maryland's campus, for the first time in years. The campus is lovely, by the way.

I wanted to attend Univ. of Maryland. My parents thought it was too big and sent me packing to the 'Burg - Harrisonburg, that is.

Glad they did. But still, the College Park campus holds a special place in my heart.

I am following several unofficial P-enforced laws as I promote So Not the Drama:

1) Thou shalt neither break the bank to promote or stretch thoust self too thin

I'm spending promo dollars as wisely and trying to keep myself to no more than 2 weekend events per month (if I can get week day visits in, cool) so that I don't have Authors Promo Regret later. Many authors, upon their second book, seem to see the "Light" when it comes to promotion and usually it's the realization that they spent either too much time or money on promo.

2) Thou shalt evaluate every promo opportunity carefully and assess its worthiness based on budget, time and exposure.

Today's event cost me nothing except the time, which I had. And while there were only 15 people in the room by the time I fnished, that's 14 more people who knew about the book than did before. And two of those 14 actually bought a copy.

3) Thou shalt always attempt to break even at the end of an event

By selling two books, I at least paid for the gas it cost to get up there. That's a win-win, for the day.

Thanks to the coordinator and Associate Director of the Nyumburu Multi-Cultural Center, Anne Carswell for inviting me.

Hey, don't forget to enter the Twisted Colors contest. You have until April 29th!

1 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

Don't forget putting some sault in your life, it can make your life brilliantly.

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home