Paula

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Ten Questions That Rock - GCC Style - Joshilyn Jackson

Who's behind in their GCC touring?

Me. I am.

So, while I send myself off to the time-out corner, hang out with Joshilyn Jackson author of Between, Georgia.



TCL: If you could enter your MC into a MTV-style Celebrity Deathmatch, what protagonist would you challenge and why?

JJ: I would enter Bernese Frett Baxter from BETWEEN, GEORGIA. She is a sugar mouthed old school Southern Matriarch, and she could wither whole armies with a choice word.

TCL: Shoes say a lot about a person, what type of shoe are you?

JJ: I like the high shoes! I wish I was spike heeled strappy sandals, but alas, I am not. Too klutzy! So I think I am a slide with a wedge. A HIGH wedge though!

TCL: What type of writer are you: plot-driven or character-driven?

JJ: I like a big old scoop of plot both as a reader and a writer, but all the stories and actions come from the people. People are always more interesting to me than events.

TCL: Word association time. What do you think when I say:

Chick-lit -- Bridget

Best seller --- compliment

Best Band Ever – Indigo Girls

Most rockin’ author --- Paula! Thanks for hosting me. J

TCL says: Awww...ain't that sweet?

TCL: Name the Top 3 books on your To Be Read (TBR) List

THE 13th TALE

BLOOD AND CIRCUMSTANCE

SHE GOT UP OFF THE COUCH

TCL: If you had anything to do with it, what would the next hot lit trend be?

JJ: Oh! Southern Gothic fiction. Of course!

TCL: What celeb would you love to see play your MC on the big or small screen and why?

JJ: Bryce Dallas Howard. She looks right and I think she could catch Nonny’s sly humor and would have a strong feel for Nonny’s bravery, her desire to be loved, her good, good heart, and the way she hesitates, hopeful and cautious. Nonny is a character who lives “in between” on any number of levels, and BDH is an actor who has gets levels.

TCL: Whether it’s because you admire their work or adore them, who’s your author crush?
JJ: HAVEN KIMMEL

TCL: What TV show do you watch that you’re ashamed to admit liking?

JJ: SUPER PASSWORD reruns on Game Show Network. That has a dork factor of 1 million. GAH! But I LOVE it!

SSP: Tell the cliquesters why the chance to read your book is among the top ten reasons for young readers to look ahead to reading up?

JJ: First of all, I am pretty sure you should not read my books unless you are allowed to see R rated movies. I definitely write adult fiction. If you are allowed to see R rated movies, then you should read them because they are funny and romantic and violent and surprising, and this particular one has things to say about identity, which is something you first begin to question in your teens. What makes you who you are, nature or nurture or our own choices or a combination of these things? I’m not interested in answering that question in a definitive, THIS IS THE MORAL, after school special way. I’m interested in exploring it through story.

So, you know the drill, right cliquesters? Ahem, unless you're still in the PG-13 crowd, cop this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home