Paula

Thursday, May 24, 2007

What a day!

Every now and then, I have one of those marathon days - frantic from start to finish.

Hmmm...technically that's probably actually a sprinter day. Marathons are supposed to be run nice and easy, paced strategically. So no, yesterday was a 100 yard dash. But, it was like running the 100 over and over and over all day long.

When my personal life, FTJ and life as an author collide...whew, it ain't pretty. But it can't be avoided.

So in honor of yesterday (thank god it's moved on), a list!

The Top Craziest Moments of P's Day

Call of the wild toddler
Princess Bea turned three. We're having a birthday party for her, but not until next week. I always knew that was going to be a sticky wicket. You can't really explain to a toddler that, "Today's your birthday. But ahhh that party we talked about...not today. " And yes, this is my fault. I took too long to call the place. Sue me, I have a lot on my plate.

So we're all dressed, we're in good moods and I say, "Okay, let's get ready to go." I'm greeted with a quizzical stare. ME: Come on baby, you have school today." She screeched to the heavens and proceeded to cry for ten minutes. Sort of how I felt on my last birthday, too.

Bouncing Bullets
You always know it's gonna be bad when your boss sits down at your desk and says, "Remember that meeting we talked about?" I'd dodged a bullet on attending a symposium as her designee because I wasn't high enough on the food chain for the panel. Yay for middle management! But a family emergency was sending her away and guess who was back on as the department's talking head? Darn all those communication classes that honed my public speaking skills!

Annapolis + USNA Graduation = AAGGHHHHHHHH!
If you're from Annapolis there are two things you know out of the womb: MD crabs are the shiggity and never ever venture into Annapolis during Commencement Week! Now, being as how I work in Annapolis and am not going to burn five vacation days that early in the summer, I've learned how to work it so I'm at least avoiding the most crowded orifices of the city. And on graduation day I don't touch the city with a 10-foot pole. I'll burn a vacay day for that!

Yesterday, I had to drop off some signage to the Navy's stadium (an orifice to be avoided!). Thought I'd sneak in the back way through a private entrance. Nope. It was blocked off. I had to go through the Daily parking side and the line was every bit thirty cars long. Then when I finally made it to the area to place my signage, an ::ahem:: nice gentleman in fatigues told me I couldn't park my car there even though it was only going to take me literally 20 seconds to post the sign. I walked away muttering some not so nice things, but obliged.

Note to self: Soldiers are not sexy when they're giving orders.

Steph Hale's Book got me in trouble
Okay, Steph, you know I'm psyched for your book, Revenge of the Homecoming Queen, and all, but it totally got me in trouble yesterday. Here I am, speaking to a room full of middle school girls (shout out to the Reisterstown branch BCPL) and we're discussing the songs that match this summer's must-read books. Steph recommended Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend, a song I happen to like, by the way. So Girlfriend's playing and the girls in the group are chanting along, excitedly. But the A/C is really loud and my little piggie speaker can only go so loud. Literally, it's a stuffed pig that you plug your iPod to. One of the nice librarians graciously goes to turn the air down, so the girls can hear and bam, Avril lets loose with a serious four letter word. Oops!

Note to self: Take Steph to detention with me and next time never assume it's the clean version just because Princess A was the one who downloaded it.

Swag Rocks!
Speaking of my library visit, it went really well aside from the Avril uh-oh. The girls group has fifteen members. I was told that attendance varies based on the girl's schedules etc...so five could have shown up or ten. Well, all fifteen members showed up. It's a good thing I packed such a large swag bag. Naturally, the girls liked the cool stuff. But then, who doesn't like freebies?

Even when it ran out, we had a good time rocking out to the summer play list that served to give them nearly twenty books to add to their Summer TBR List. Thanks to all of the authors who provided me a song for their book! Even you, Steph. LOL

Why yes, I am Super woman
After all that, I still stopped at the grocery store to pick up ground beef and came home and cooked spaghetti for the little Princesses birthday dinner. This moment wasn't that crazy. I just felt like I deserved a little back pat for cooking!

Losing it!
So after bathing the Princess and lying her down with the hubster (they were both sleep in minutes) despite dragging, I went into the office to work. And I'm proud to say that I finished the manuscript for That's What's Up! No applause, please, just doing my job.

Now, as great as finishing the book felt, guess what? I fuggin' missed the Lost Finale. Man!

I'll tell you what threw me off - the American Idol finale. I didn't watch that either. But I had an extensive conversation about it with my friend and for some reason, despite knowing what day it was, I went into the office thinking - Nothing's on tonight, it's Tuesday and I don't really need to see Idol.

Thanks to the networks putting on new programming in the summer (albeit stupid shows) I may never see the Lost finale, now.

Long day. Full. But a good day.

And since I hear the starter's gun (the wail of the wild three-year-old), it means a new race has begun.

2 Comments:

Blogger stephhale said...

I am beyond mortified. How did I not realize that song had cusswords? I promise to attend detention with you! SOOOO sorry!

xo,
Steph

11:22 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

LOL It was my fault. When I placed it in the playlist I never even saw that it said "explicit" next to it. Here I'm assuming b/c my 12 y.o. downloaded it was safe. When I got home and saw the "explicit" I just shook my head. I'm usually so much more in tune.

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home