Paula

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Ten Questions That Rock: GCC Style - Joni Rodgers

Is it Thursday aldamnready?!

I don't know what creature is eating up the time around here, but he needs to go on a diet. This week went by way too fast, not to mention the month of May.

P's heading to the Big Apple (watch out BEA) and while I always see many sights that inspire blogging when in the big city, I'd be lying to myself and you if I said I was gonna. But before I fade to black, let's welcome Joni Rodgers, author of The Secret Sisters.

Joni, can you hold down the fort while I do a little hob nobbing with the lit set?

Starting...now!



TCL: If you could enter your MC into a MTV-style Celebrity Deathmatch, what protag would you want on your Celeb Deathmatch tag team and why?

JR: I’d want to have the brash, tough-talking Lily on my tag team. Serving a long prison term for a drunk driving accident in which a little girl was killed, Lily adapts to her harsh environment and ultimately discovers in the prison library that her mind is still free to fly. I loved writing her potty-mouthed inmate dialogue. She gets to say all the things I don’t have the guts to say.

TCL: Shoes say a lot about a person, what type of shoe are you?

JR: Striding the streets of NYC, tromping the woods in Texas, or bumming on the white sand beach in Florida, I live in my multi-colored Crocs.

TCL: What type of writer are you: plot-driven or character-driven?

JR: It’s all about the characters. For me the plot is a vehicle for their inner journey.

TCL Says: A writer after my own heart. Power to the characterrati!

TCL: Word association time. What do you think when I say:

Chick-lit = legs on the cover
Best seller = PLEASE, GOD, PLEASE!!!!
Best Band Ever = Metallica
Most rockin’ author = Annie Proulx

TCL: Name the Top 3 books on your To Be Read (TBR) List

JR: I’m on a quest to read every novel that’s won the Pulitzer Prize. Coming up, Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri, Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

TCL: If you had anything to do with it, what would the next hot lit trend be?


JR: Broad-minded books that inspire readers to be better people. (Oh, geez, I sound like a Miss America candidate quacking about world peace.)

TCL Says: Now wave pretty to the people and smile.

TCL: What celeb would you love to see play your MC on the big or small screen and why?

JR: I think Ashley Judd could perfectly capture the painfully fragile Pia, who surprises herself when she discovers an inner core of strength and sensuality. The brash, tough-talking Lily needs someone with both courage and comic timing. Sandra Bullock, maybe? Toni Collette would bring humor and humanity to totally uptight Beth. And as I was writing dialogue for the sly and sexy con artist Dalphine, I was hearing the honeylicious voice of Shohreh Aghdashloo.

TCL: Whether it’s because you admire their work or adore them, who’s your author crush?

JR: My first novel was up for the Barnes & Noble Discover Award, and the brilliant Sherman Alexie was on the judging panel. When I met him a couple of years later at BookExpo, he told me how much he’d loved the book and gave me a big hug and…mmmmmmmy goodness. He is gorgeous and smelled great and I never fully recovered.

TCL: What TV show do you watch that you’re ashamed to admit liking?

JR: I watch very little TV, and I hate reality TV especially, but my 18-year-old daughter and I have a standing date for the artsy Wednesday night shows on Bravo: Project Runway, Shear Genius, Top Design, and Top Chef. (And I would just like to say here and now that Sam was robbed on Top Chef last season. Robbed, I tell you! Rage on, Sam!)

SSP: Tell the cliquesters why the chance to read your book is among the top ten reasons for young readers to look ahead to reading up.

THE SECRET SISTERSwon't show up in any school libraries, because it has a lot of sexual content. But the message of redemption and a portrayal of strong women makes it a great book for girls who can handle the R-rated read. I read Erica Jong’s FEAR OF FLYING when I was in 11th grade, and it had a lot of impact.

What better time for a steamy read, then summer? You know what to do...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home