Paula

Monday, August 06, 2007

An Open Letter To...BET

Dear BET,

If you're looking for a writer to help you polish Baldwin Hills - give me a call.

I like a lot of mindless TV. I mean, I watched Cop Rock back in the '90's. Need I say more? So when I sat down to watch Baldwin Hills, I was fully prepared to like your take on Laguna Beach Af-Am style. I mean, you're talking to a chick who is counting down to the season premiere of The Hills. You couldn't find a more made-to-order fan if you tried.

And before you go saying - well, Miss P, you're well out of our- ahem- demographic. I sat and watched it with my twelve-year-old (another The Hills fan, and most likely part of your demo) and pretty much we concur on the following:

* Cut down the cast

11 cast members?! What were you thinking?!?!? If I have to spend half the show remembering the cast members names, that's a problem. Nevermind the fact that three of the cast members names sound similiar - Gaven, Garnette, and Gerren. Good grief! No pun intended.

* Where's the drama?

Now how should I put this? Hmm...a scene of Gaven and Staci on a date should probably actually include them doing something or going somewhere. The 15-minute too long scene of them standing in front of that gate or whatever...a snoozer. And then they were talking about school. Huh?!

Gaven and his fam having dinner? Wha?!

* Parent scenes = zzzzzzz

Look, I respect that the parents are given some face time. Culturally, black parents tend to be a lot more heavy handed - so having a show where parents have no say would be culturally inaccurate. But still, cut those scenes to a minimum. Drama, drama and more drama is all the viewer cares about...and not of the "My momma won't let me go," variety.

How about Moriah sneaking out? Then being dragged home by his older bro? Then letting momma chew into him. But a seven minute scene of her pondering whether he can go to a party and then finally letting him go? Yawn!

* Story arcs, try 'em

I'm a writer of YA fiction, I know how hard it is to create story arcs that include everyone. So go back to problem #1. Once you do, it'll be a lot easier to create story arcs around 3 or 4 central characters. Not sure which of these characters bring the most drama, but I'm thinking Staci, Gerren and possibly Ashley might deliver. Yup, focus on the girls. Wherever they are, drama will follow. Trust!

Consider dumping the narration and build up the friggin' drama by SHOWING us the drama.

Example: Moriah gets a call from his girlfriend while out with Gerren - show his girlfriend lighting into his cute little butt. Him telling us it was his girlfriend was anti-climatic. Hell, I didn't even know he had a girlfriend.

Tension. Tension. We need some tension!

* Forget the race

I like that you attempted to portray a side of African American life that's often left out of the mainstream. However, that can't be the sole purpose of the show!! We get it, not everyone from LA is from the ghetto. But so far, you haven't shown us what makes their lives all that different or special. Kids from wealthy backgrounds tend to have access to more things, privileges that others don't...right now, the scenes could be of my daughter and her friends (typical burb teens). Either give us a peek into this "other" side or stage some drama - right now, there's no there there.

Look, I'm an equal opportunity TV watcher. And I happen to have a special affinity for reality TV that makes me forget that the people I'm watching are real vs. actors. I'm hoping God will forgive me for hating The Hills' Heidi and Spencer, one day.

Take Baldwin Hills back to the drawing board and for God's sake, follow the reality TV rules:

1. Create Drama

2. Sustain Drama

3. Resolve Drama

4. Go back to #1

Thanks.

Hugs and Kisses,

P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home