Paula

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Rising Above Your Station

One of the reasons I respect self-pubbed authors is their grind.

Their hustle.

The way they'll find good spots to sell their wares, helping them get their story out there.

Don't get it twisted, I do not mean the author who's in your face constantly yammering about how great their book is. I hate that!

I'm talking about authors who put in work (writing, editing and polishing) and then hit the road to book festivals, cultural fairs and any other place where vending their book is possible. Even if vending means walking the aisles of the event vs. renting a booth (gotta save money where you can).

These authors take it upon themselves to rise above their "station" in the publishing hierarchy. The ones who did it right went on to get a contract from traditional publishing houses and/or established their own small print to publish other authors like themselves.

You don't find many YA authors in this position, because it's just plain easier to reach children through the traditional routes. But it has been done.

Two of my fellow Kensington authors, L. Divine and Stephanie Perry Moore, for example. And one to keep an eye on, Carla Sarratt.

For the last four months I've worked my tail feathers off to get So Not The Drama attention. Attention from teachers, librarians, booksellers and readers.

It ain't easy.

The level of fatigue I've felt since late May is something akin to scuba diving without gear or walking the moon without a space suit. It's a heavy feeling that pulls back some, but never truly dissipates.

But, as the old saying goes - you do what you gotta do.

In order to rise above my station - and that's just wherever I am. If I'm a mid-lister now, then front list is what I'm gunning for and so on and so on...

To do that, you've got to put in work.

Lots.

Today, I salute the authors who hustle, grind and never let the obstacles of the publishing industry weigh them down (for long).

To those who uplift other authors because they know word of mouth is part of success.

To those who aren't threatened by anyone, but instead focuses on competing against themselves to get where they're going.

Success is a lot of things. One of them is recognizing where you are and where you want to be.

Write on!

2 Comments:

Blogger Don Tate II said...

Hey, I've met Stephanie Moore through email and phone. We crossed paths once and almost worked together. She is a hustler and go-getter.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Definitely! And just a very nice person to boot.

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home