Paula

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pardon my Passion

I don't like being told to "calm down."

I cry during mushy commercials or TV scenes.

When I get angry, I'm sort of like the Incredible Hulk going from 0 to 60.

When I love someone, they're my favorite person. When I don't, I'd prefer if they moved to Mars.

It's hard to make "favorite" lists because my favorites tend to change by mood.

When I fly off the handle, I let everyone know exactly why I'm pissed - but, when the anger passes I mend bridges* and am ready to talk reason.

*FYI I'm not a feeling hurter. Like angry drunks, feeling hurters say things in anger they don't mean. Passionites (like that? I just made it up) only say exactly what they mean. No regrets!

Yes, my name's P and I'm a passionate person. A passionite, if you will.

I think my kind are misunderstood. Some people view us as over zealous or label us over re-actors. Neither are true.

For the record, I don't get people who aren't passionate. I mean, granted, I tend to be passionate about everything. I won't do it, if I'm not passionate about it. And boy, when I'm not passionate about something the quality of my work suffers.

I also lack the ability to be phony with people. If I don't like you, it's on my face. It's in my body language.

So yeah, I'm an extreme example. But everyone should have a passion for something. Those of you who haven't found at least one thing to be passionate about, quickly go find yourself now. Everyone else, stay and let's discuss the best way to handle the passionite in your life. They'll thank you (passionately, of course) for taking the time to learn to cope:

Rule #1
When your passionite comes to you, lost to all reason, ranting about how INSERT NAME/JOB or FRENEMY got on their last nerve, listen, nod and interject a short, but meaningful blurb of commiseration.

Some good choices are: "Man, he's always been a bastard, hasn't he?" or "Yeah that job never did respect your expertise. Screw 'em." or "Hey, everyone needs a bitchy friend - she's yours."

Rule #2
During above rant, if you're unable to muster commiseration remain silent. And for God's sake never ever ever ever utter "calm down."

The words "calm down" to a passionite are like flame to dynamite. It only enflames our passion more, except now instead of being mad at NAME/JOB or FRENEMY we're mad at you!

Rule #3
Roll with their mania.

Passionites tend to get very excited about opportunities to a point it may seem like manic/depression. I assure you it's not. But a passionite sees the value and merit to most things - disregarding the challenges that may pop up later. Give them time to get over the excitement before pointing out the hurdles. They may even agree with you. If nothing else, they'll appreciate that you waited for the right time vs. pissing on their parade.

Rule #4
Never question their dedication or excitement for something.

Look, just because you can express why you enjoy doing certain things or why you feel a certain way doesn't mean everyone can. Some people go through life "feeling" their way through. They don't always know why they feel something...they just do! It sets us up for quite a few emotional highs and lows, but hey who are we to question the great Creator on why they made some of us this way?

Rule #5
Never take a passionites rant personally.

Recall I said, passionites go through life "feeling" things around them...sort of like how a fly can taste through their legs. Okay eww, that's gross, but similiar nonetheless. In the "moment" they may express exactly how they feel in politically incorrect terminology (Beware feeling hurters, they are not passionate, just mean! True passionites never make someone feel bad just to get their feelings off their chest. Seriously. )

True, the reality of a passionites feelings may seem harsh but it's how they feel at that time...they could actually feel differently once they settle.

Rule #6
Never hold a rant against a passionite.

Remember, we tend to love hard and hate hard. But we're rarely grudge holders. So if you are and you're trying to be our friend/partner...umm, that's gonna be a tough road. Many of us know how to rant without hurting feelings. I'm not saying forgive them for anything they utter. Just saying, blaming someone for feeling the way they do is like getting mad at someone for breathing.

Now you're armed with how to deal with that person, who just yesterday you may have thought needed Prozac. Nah, they probably just need a hug.

Go forth and make peace with the passionite in your life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home