Paula

Monday, August 18, 2008

Straight, No Chaser - Megan Kelley Hall

I love suspense novels. I think it's because they're the direct opposite of what I write, so I really get into them without being distracted. I've not jumped onto the Twilight/Breaking Dawn bandwagon - I have a serious aversion to being mainstream - though the concept of dark, gothic tales appeal to me. So what's a girl to do for a little YA suspense fix?

In steps Megan Kelley Hall with Sisters of Misery complete with snotty cliques and a good old fashion what the heck just happened here mystery.

Have I found a new companion to my Scott Westerfeld obsession? Mayhaps so.

Megan dishes with us on the pop culture tip...


Which cliché best describes you as an author?

MKH: Even though people have been describing me as this dark, gothic writer, I’m actually a pretty upbeat, easy-going, non-threatening girl. I think people expect me to be this dark brooding type, but I’m actually more silly than scary.


Complete this sentence: I’m a total….from my BLANK to my BLANK, I could write the book on being BLANK

MKH: Creative spirit… from my house crammed with books and craft/jewelry making supplies to the fact that my daughter never wears matched clothing and often goes to school in a tutu over jeans and her various collection of tiaras and the fact that I’m always late, scatter-brained and living in a state of chaos, my husband could write the book on living with a free-spirited, creative, chaotic, procrastinating, chronically late for everything writer.


Using either television, film or literary references, give us the one or two sentence pitch you’d give film agents:


MKH: A Modern Day Witch Hunt is Ignited When “Mean Girls” Meets “Practical Magic”.


If you did an informercial for your book, who would be the perfect celeb to serve as the pitch guy or gal? And why?

MKH: Angelina Jolie because everything she does seems to attract the world’s attention. I think if she even used my book as a booster seat for her kid, it would become a bestseller. She would also make a great Rebecca in the movie version, though she might be a bit young to play the mother of a teenaged girl. She’s got the wild, ethereal, free-spirited thing going for her though.


MKH: Complete this sentence: It’s a good thing I’m not a stalker or else JOHNNY DEPP would be in trouble because I’ve been obsessed with him since the 21 Jump Street days.


A lot of times, authors start a book with one concept in mind (especially us pantsters) and end up with a totally different story. For your most current book tell us where you story started and ultimately ended.


MKH: My book started out about a thirty-plus year old woman returning to her hometown to find out the mystery of her cousin’s disappearance that happened over a decade ago and ended up about a teenager looking into her cousin’s disappearance that recently happened.


You’re on a desert island with a cell phone. Miraculously it has two bars and enough battery life to make one three minute call. Who do you call?

MKH: My daughter, just to hear her voice and tell her that her mommy is okay.


If someone were deserted on an island and came across your book washed ashore, what’s the one thing they’d take from it and want to share with the world once they got back to civilization?

MKH: Don’t go to New England. They have crazy, mean girls who live there. (just kidding!)

TLC Says: Megan, Stephen King had me avoiding the New England states long ago. LOL

Which celebrity would you like to see put on a bus and dropped in the desert? And why?

MKH: Every reality show “star”. I saw a girl from one of the Real World shows in an airport and she had her dark sunglasses on and was trying to avoid the paparazzi and fans that existed only in her mind.

TLC: LMAO at anyone on Real World thinking they're a celeb. Whew, that was a good one!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home