Paula

Thursday, April 16, 2009

I Rocked...and almost Dropped

I've been angsting over it for weeks and it's finally here.

Rock the Drop!

Herewith lies my adventure:

Book 1 - A copy of That's What's Up! This is a no-brainer. The cover features two girls, one a cheerleader wearing a blue, gold and white uniform. So naturally I get Princess A to drop it somewhere at her high school, because as fate and my requesting my editor to find these specific colors would have it, her school colors match the cheer uniform on the cover.

I just hope she didn't chicken out and get into one of those sulky teen moods like - This is so stupid and stuff it at the bottom of her bag. If so, me, her and a little can of whup ass are gonna have a little talk.

*mwah, momma loves ya' babe*

Book 2 - Operation Middle School. Another copy of That's What's Up! I know a lot of little cheer chicks at this school and they'll be cheer chicks at the high school soon. So, yeah, subliminal uniform message at work again.

They're renovating the school, so there were construction vehicles everywhere and I feared for the books safety. I start to drop it at the front door but then decided to head to the Media Center - which was actually just a ginormous portable classroom.The two librarians were very interested to hear about Support Teen Literature Day. So I dropped it at one of the tables and wished the book luck.

Book 3 - Now it gets a little challenging. I was too gun shy to leave the book in a book hostile area. So I stuck to book-y places. I decide to change it up a bit and leave a copy of Flipping The Script in the lobby of the local lib.

Even though I literally dropped this one, I still went inside and spread the good word about the initiative. It was nice to see the big "National Library Week" banner up and the librarian who checked me out (oh yeah, forgot to mention I picked up a few books :-) loved the concept.

Book 4 - It's now that I realize I only printed out four bookplates instead of five. So I've got to make it good. It's between a middle and a high school. On one hand, the last three books are more geared to older readers. But I created this series wanting a group of middle schoolers to start it and grow with my characters. So the middle school wins out - even though it's much further from my house than the high school.

Luckily the day isn't as crappy as yesterday. So...the grounds of this school felt endless and I was unsure where to leave a fresh shiny copy of So Not The Drama. Finally, I decide on a nice ledge near the front door then I run like hell, except that's not very fast because I have Princess Bea with me and she's already sick of this game of drop the book and is wondering when lunch will be. So she's purposely lagging behind, questioning me.

If the school security guard had come chasing, she would have been on her own. But we make it back safely to the car.

Whew.

So, I have officially rocked the drop. I think next year, I'll do the same places plus add a few more. And although the last drop (and run) was exhilirating, I rather enjoyed singing the praises of the initiative - so I'll be stopping, dropping and yakking next year. That's way more fun.

P.S. I took pictures but they're refusing to load. Grr!!

1 Comments:

Blogger holly cupala said...

Awesome, Paula! Thank you for supporting Operation TBD!

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home