Paula

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Let's Chat

Or at least we will be able to soon.

I'm making good on my promise to re-imagine PCH.com (hating that PCH.com is actually publishers clearing house ::sigh::) which of course is Paula Chase Hyman dot com. I'm testing free live chats, today, and believe I have a winner.

The internet really gets on my nerves sometimes. But today isn't one of them. Whenever there's decent free software out there, you've gotta love that. In a society where it's blasphemy not to have capitalistic drive, getting something free gives me a rush - like I'm getting away with something naughty, sticking it to the "man."

I wish there were more good free things on earth.

Are there any countries that have managed to implement a more balanced vibe of capitalism and...struggling not to use communism, even though that's obviously the accepted opposite?

It's not that I'm against capitalism. I sort of like money. But there are some who are really into the money is the root of all evil thing to the point they're anti-earning an income doing what you love.

I once talked to a woman who was a producer for a lit talk show. She said she wanted me on the show because I wasn't writing to make money.

Umm...I must certainly am. It's called my profession. If I don't make money, where will I live? How will I eat?

She went on to say that authors who talked about "targeting young readers" turned her off because writers shouldn't be "targeting" anything. Her theory - you write from the heart and smile until someone decides they want to read your work.

Umm...yeeeah.

Maybe it does sound crass and antiseptic to talk about targeting a certain reader. But who just goes off writing willy nilly without knowing who they're telling the story to/for?

In reality, I knew what she meant even if the way she presented it was a bit *out there*. There are some who write, whatever, specifically to turn a buck. I can't be mad at them. If you want to write to earn a living (novel concept) good luck. Writing is hardly a get rich quick, scheme.

But this woman was saying children's writers who were blatantly capitalistic offended her. She was a big time advocate for youth and the idea that young people were seen only as consumers offended her.

So I didn't totally disagree. My readers aren't dollar signs to me. Still, I'd like to think there's a road between starving artist and writing slut.

What this has to do with chatting, I can't be sure. But the chat feature is, as they say, coming soon.

Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home