Paula

Monday, January 15, 2007

Ready, Set...Read

I was feeling bad about crossing over from reader to hoarder. It wasn't sitting well with me. So, I took my three-day weekend and read...and read and read and read.

I finished Story of a Girl (Saturday), Uglies(Sunday and Monday) and, I was a Teenage Popsicle (Monday).

No, I didn't rush the reading.

No, I wasn't doing it just to say I finished them.

Yes, it will likely be months before I get this kind of time again.

Here's the thing - I read fast.

And plffttt to all those who think fast readers don't absorb the details and story. I can't help that I read fast. I just do. Also, as I mentioned in my last post, I'm one of those people who will basically put off everything except breathing to read a good book.

The kids could be out wandering the streets naked. If a book is good, all I may do is glance up and tell them to throw on a jacket.

Normally, unless I'm reading late into the night I don't get much time to enjoy reading. Note I didn't say, I don't get time to read. I can make time if I want. There's always giving up sleep or watching television or whatever.

But reading is a luxury. I want to enjoy it like a person enjoys a long, hot bath. Not rush through it like a quickie shower.

What's different, lately, is that all of the Hymans have been directed...wait, did I say directed? I meant, encouraged to read mom's book before it hits shelves. So both the hubster and Princess A are reading the book, which gives me time to read, as well.

It's been a great week in the house having everyone read together.

Even Princess Bea is in on the act. I bought her a new Spongebob book. So she's been reading that all weekend.

With no plans for the weekend, I made reading my plans and enjoyed every single second of it.

I'd love to read every day. And my assumption is, once Princess Bea is a little older, I'll once again find more time for reading and other things I take pleasure.

Until then, my resolutions (better late than never)are to stop hoarding so much. I still have '06 books to finish. And to squeeze in more reading, even if it means more marathon weekends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home