Paula

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Happy Release Day To Me!

So this is what it feels like when your book hits the shelves.

Wow!

It feels just like...Tuesday.

I've been warned that Release Day can be anti-climatic. And like so much of the advice I've been given over the years, it's dead on.

Today started like any other. No doubt, it will also end like any other. What's different is me, I guess.

I'm anxious and nervous inside like I'm waiting for something to happen. Only, something has already happened. I wrote a book and it's been published.

The fact that, that's a huge accomplishment does not escape me. But the entire publishing process, I think, is designed to keep authors grounded.

I won't be whisked from bookstore to bookstore with hundreds of screaming fans out there crying at the prospect of getting close enough to touch me.

There will be no press junket as I roll from the Today Show to Good Morning America.

You won't see me yukking it up with David Letterman tonight.

No pre-arranged school visits where a news camera just "happens" to show up and catch me hob nobbing with a bunch of kids who just "happen" to have spanking brand new copies of So Not The Drama in their hands, held at just the right angle for the camera to catch its pretty pink cover.

Nope.

I'm sitting in my office in PJs looking out the window at the construction behind my house. A lone guy seems to be digging some sort of ditch. And taking his time with it, I might add.

If watching someone dig a ditch doesn't ground you, reminding you that your anti-climatic day as the author of a newly released book is still quite a notch above a few million other things you could be doing instead, I don't know what will.

Yes, life is good.

So look, my baby So Not The Drama is out there all alone on book shelves. Please, go pick up a copy and give her a nice home surrounded by eager readers who will read her again and again. She was put on this earth to bring joy to the young and young at heart.

And if you happen to be at a bookstore anytime over the next two weeks, can you take a photo of her and send it to me?

Happy Release Day, So Not The Drama. Momma wishes you well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home