Paula

Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Season-less Look

I'm a fashonista wannabe.

I don't follow trends, I just like what I like. And if I think an outfit looks nice, than it's hot to me. I don't care what anyone else thinks.

Fashion is as subjective as writing!

For the last two years I've been big into the season-less look for Fall and Winter. You know, when you maximize your wardrobe throughout the year by re-working traditional summer/spring pieces with traditional fall/winter items.

It's not only a good look, but smart.

So, I'm all about defying Mother Nature by wearing exactly what I want, when I want to. But let's get a few things straight...there's season-less and there's out of season. Allow me to ponder the differences.

Season-less: Capris, flood pants and gauchos

Rock them with boots when it's cold. Hook them up with cutesy sandals (heel or flat) once the weather turns.

Out-of-Season: Any of the above worn in the winter with any other shoe except a boot!

Season-less: Boots. Yes, practically any boot can be worn all year round with the right combo of mini skirt, short-shorts or baby doll dress. Ummm...except maybe suede. Just thinking of wearing suede in July makes me sweat.

Out-of-season: Flip flops anytime of year outside of summer, spring or cheerleading competitions. Sorry. I just think it looks insane to wear flip flops when it's twenty below, outside.
Season-less: Tees. I love tee shirts and short-sleeved tops. But when it's cold they must be layered! Respect winter and allow it it's time in the sun, so to speak. Warm weather states are exempt from this rule.

Out-of-season: Walking around with no sleeves (or jacket) or God forbid a tank top in the dead of winter.

Season-less: Several layers that can be easily peeled off. I hate wearing coats! Blegh! That's why I'll wear a long sleeved tee, layered with a short-sleeved, a cropped jackt of some sort, a scarf and the fingerless gloves (love these!). For where I live, this is enough to get me through most winter days. If I'm wearing a coat it must be hella cold (like Tuesday).

Out-of-season: Wearing no protection from the elements. While you may look cold, you don't look cool walking outside in 20 degree weather wearing a thin cotton jacket or no jacket at all with a scarf. I know the "bare" look is in. But, it's winter. It's okay to cover up.

Season-less: Socks. Have you checked out the sock section lately? There's some really cute footwear out there. Knee socks, footie socks, tights. Even for the person who hates wearing socks they've created the footies to cover only the toes and the liner, whose sole job is to cover the bottom and just the edge of your foot. It's barely a sock! There's on excuse for not wearing socks with these options at your disposal.

Plus, you can have so much fun with socks. I've been known to wear dressy black slacks with a bright pair of yellow socks that have "What?!" all over them in baby blue and hot pink. The pants are too long for you to see them. But it brightens my mood to know I have on a silly pair of socks.

Out-of-season: No socks. Winter, people. Winter!

Here's the thing, at the end of the day you have to do you. I'm just saying, it's so easy to break rules of fashion and still look good doing it. So why not?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home