Paula

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Checked out!

Are there any sweeter words than those?

I know the term can have negative connotations. As in, "your girl is wack, she's totally checked out from reality."

Or, it can have a more mundane meaning, like someone checking out of a hotel, hospital whatever.

And we won't go there about permanently checking out as in...well, you know.

I'm talking about my book being checked out at the library.

And thanks to S.A. Harazin, I'm able to stalk So Not The Drama at about every library it's held.
Oh my god. If you thought Amazon was addicting!

Please!

Being able to tell just how many copies of your book is at a given library system in the world compared to Amazon's roller coaster ranking...puh, Amazon who?

And I'm not Amazon bashing. Not at all. But crusing library systems is so much more...gratifying.

Seeing the words "checked out" beside the book gave me goose bumples.

Lately, I've developed a creeping obsession with libraries. And S.A.'s resources pushed me over the edge. The Library Police may come knocking if anyone is tracing my internet habits.

I don't know who invented this World Cat thing, but I think I love them.

In all fairness, I've always loved libraries. So this isn't a totally new obsession.

It's just, now that I can see which libraries are carrying the book...oh, it's a whole new level of stalkerizing.

Every time I clicked on a new system's page and saw the words "checked out," I'd get this pounding ache in my heart.

I'm guessing it's a lot like how parents feel when they drop their kid off to college. They know their young adult is about to start an incredibly exciting journey. So their emotions becomes this jumbalaya of happy, sad, anxious, pride.

All I've ever wanted was my baby to find a nice home (or few thousand homes) where a reader would cherish it. And that's happening.

Today is a good author's day!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home