Paula

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Good, The Bad and The Tired

Ain't life a B.I. when it gets in the way of your blogging?

Okay, so here's what's up with me...

The Good

* That's What's Up! is done...kind of. I've crafted the ending and everything in between. But there are many potholes to fill. Filling pot holes, tying loose ends and smoothing out the story is always interesting because I've never been good at puzzles. And no doubt, that's what it's like.

Oh sure, I can put together the kind with the ginormous pieces. But so can a two-year-old. Throw one of those 30 piece or God forbid 300 piece puzzles at me and I'm toast. Seriously. If you ever want to knock me a down a peg, ask me to do a puzzle with you.

* I've had a book promo event every weekend this month. As I do these events, part of me thinks - can you really ever reach bestseller land by selling five books here, ten books there? But then another part of me realizes how infectious an appearance can be. And a slow burn is better than no burn at all. Am I right?

* We're getting a new patio. Never has there been this much excitement in the Hyman household...well, except upon the arrival of Princess Bea. We've been talking about getting a patio for years. But you know how home improvements can be. Some things aren't worth doing until you're able to do them right. We can't wait to christen it with a good ol' cookout.

* I have a writer's assistant and I'm getting an intern at my FTJ.

I won't out her, here. But blogging can lead to some wonderful opportunities. CD is helping me keep all my DRB facts straight by creating some sort of character map. I'm so psyched about this!

And my FTJ would be pure hell-like without a summer intern. I can't wait for her to start.

* Summer's almost here. I may not get an eight or nine week break from work, but having the kids off from school definitely takes the rat race down a level.

* Cheer tryouts are soon. I enjoy my downtime from cheerleading. But I always miss my girls in the off-season.

The Bad

* Construction continues behind our house. Grr!! First, it was this stupid retail building that's only 50 feet off my backyard (hey, I never said our patio would have a good view). Now they're repaving the highway, at night. There's a perpetual humming that persists through the night caused by the machinery. It's so annoying! You never realize how quiet the night is until that silence is broken.

* Things are hella busy at the FTJ. Man, nothing sucks more than when they make you earn your keep.

* Multi-millionairism continues to elude me. Even single millionairism. What, burning the wick at both ends is not good enough? What does it take to make some real scrilla in this country?! Calling Donald Trump. He always has good, generic advice on making it.

* Summer's almost here. Ya' ever hear people talk about dry heat vs. humidity? Well, Maryland heat is all humidity, meaning you can't hide from it. Sit in the shade in dry heat and you get a modicum of relief. Try that in Maryland and you still feel like you're breathing under a wool blanket...in the shade.

* Cheer tryouts are soon. Have I mentioned lately that cheer season is insanely long (9 months)and requires wrangling lots of tiny details? Try doing that with two full-time jobs and a family and I dare you to stay sane. I dare you!

* Prices of summer camp options range from ridiculous to obscene. Honestly, it's enough to make you send your kid to work in a sweat shop just to earn their keep.

The Tired

* That would be me.

I have never looked forward to June the way I am, right now.

June means:

the first draft of That's What's Up! is done and turned into my editor.

only a few more weeks of school

my much needed beach vacation!!!!

sleep, preferably uninterrupted by Del Rio Bay dialogue

3 Comments:

Blogger Monica Jackson said...

A writing assistant? How? Where?!
I want one!!!

Wishing for you more good than bad, always ;-)

Me too, especially some breakthrough on that millionaire bit.

1:01 PM  
Blogger mamabat said...

You're finished writing the third book?!?!?! Wow! Congrats! We truly don't see enough of each other these days...

Looking forward to *buks tomorrow morning!

Megg

10:04 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Monica, she saw a blog post I'd written where I'd mentioned needing an intern and asked if I was serious. I was like hells yeah! LOL

Meg, I'm ready for my frappe tomorrow. Despite wanting one really bad Sat. night I didn't get one!

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home