Paula

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Ten Questions That Rock - GCC Style: Shanna Swendson

The GCC tour is hopping.


Today, Shanna Swendson, author of Damsel Under Stress shoots the breeze with me about comfy shoes and why you'd be crazy not to pick up her latest book.


Let the wild ride begin!






TCL: Pick one: If you could enter your MC into a MTV-style Celebrity Deathmatch, what protagonist would you challenge and why?

I think it would be fun to pit my main character, Katie Chandler, against Bridget Jones (of Bridget Jones's Diary fame). Katie would probably win because even though Bridget probably outweighs her, Katie has three older brothers, so she's learned to fight dirty.

TCL: Shoes say a lot about a person, what type of shoe are you?

I'd probably be budget brand flats -- a little classier than sneakers, comfortable and practical, but still cute. And wouldn't you know, my closet is full of ballet flats from Target! I have them in almost every possible color (though I do have one awesome pair of high-priced heels).

TCL: What type of writer are you: plot-driven or character-driven?

I can't really separate the two. For me, they feed off of each other. I do usually come up with a story idea before I develop characters, but then once I develop characters, that does a lot to shape the plot.

TCL: Word association time. What do you think when I say:
Chick-lit
-- fun reading!
Best seller -- me, maybe someday (I hope!)
Best Band Ever -- the Glenn Miller Orchestra (yeah, I'm kind of an old-fashioned dork when it comes to music)
Most rockin’ author -- right now, JK Rowling. I guess you could say she really has it going on!

TCL: Name the Top 3 books on your To Be Read (TBR) List

Wicked by Gregory Maguire -- I've had it on the TBR pile forever, and I just saw the show again, so I think it's moving to the top of the stack

The Flamenco Academy by Sarah Bird -- I got it at a booksigning last summer, and I haven't had a chance to dig in and read it.

And ack, I can't think of anything else right now because by the time I get to that point, it will be at least a week from now, and I have no idea what I'll be in the mood to read by then. My reading is really mood-driven. I never know what will inspire me to suddenly need to read a particular book.

TCL: If you had anything to do with it, what would the next hot lit trend be?

Funny fantasy with a chick lit voice, of course. :-)

TCL: What celeb would you love to see play your MC on the big or small screen and why?

Jenna Fischer (Pam on The Office) is perfect casting for Katie (the way she looks in real life, not the way she looks as Pam). In fact, one of the reasons I started watching that show was that I saw her on the promos and thought she reminded me of Katie, so I wanted to see her in action on the show.

TCL:. Whether it’s because you admire their work or adore them, who’s your author crush?

JK Rowling. I'm sure if we met we'd be best friends. :-) Actually, from what she says in interviews, it does sound like we have a similar outlook on life and would probably "get" each other. I also admire how her career has progressed and the way she's handled all the extreme success she has.

TCL: What TV show do you watch that you’re ashamed to admit liking?

I'm really not ashamed of much of anything I watch. I fully embrace my geekiness and dorkiness! I guess the one I most often have to explain by saying, "No, really, it's good!" is Supernatural. With that one, I also have to insist that I really like it for the plots and not for the cute guys.

TCL: SSP: Tell the cliquesters why your book should be in their TBR list.

It's perfect summer reading for unwinding after finishing up the school year. Plus, you could read the whole series so far as something to keep yourself occupied while waiting for the new Harry Potter book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home