Paula

Friday, June 15, 2007

Revolutionary War

While I was in New York, there was a group of artists selling tees, tanks and calenders, I think, to raise money.

As a fellow "starving" artist, I bought a tank top. It said:


Stop Bitching, Start a Revolution


I thought it was succint, memorable and very much aligned with the artists' spirit of actively saying what's on their mind - be it through words, sculpture or oil paints.

Honestly, I didn't give one thought to the word "bitching" on the tee. Although the word has many offensive meanings, when used to denote whining, it's harmless. To me.

But not to my mom.

So we go to NC for my god daughter's graduation, last week, and I wear my comfy tank for the seven hour drive. The only people who will see me in this shirt are my parents, my daughters (one who cannot read) and someone in a road side Quickie mart when I stop to fill up on gas and goodies.

Yet, my mother proceeds to lecture about how inappropriate it is that I'm wearing this shirt. Inappropriate as a mother and as a children's writer.

This line of conversation continued to arise the entire weekend as she proceeded to pull people on her side of the issue (her sisters, my cousins, whoever would listen).

By the third time that my mom brought this up, Princess A finally sighed and went, "Granny, it's just a tee shirt." Spoken like a true child of a parent who is liberal in many ways, but oddly conservative in others.

I'm sure there are plenty people who agree with my mom (at least one of my aunt's and one cousin did), but here's why, not only do I disagree but see no reason why my profession as a YA (not children's) writer has anything to do with it:

I agreed with the shirt!

If it were some sort of kitschy phrase that felt contrived, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. But I happen to agree with the shirt. I pointed out to my mom, each time, that she's so stuck on the one word she's missing the point of the shirt. This is something many people do with YA literature. They get stuck wondering if there are bad words in a book or does it mention ::gasp:: sex and forget that it's more about the context.

If more people stopped whining and did something about it, our quality of life would improve. That's my interpretation of the shirt. Anyone else is free to their own.

I'm not your kid's parent

First of all, I'm not going to wear this shirt to a school or library visit. It's a tank top, so chances are I'm only wearing it on weekends when I'm lounging or local. Still, if I happen to wear the shirt and am publicly recognized as a YA writer (something my mother seems to think is going to happen often, per her argument. Un-huh.) I'm not apologizing for it either.

If someone's child is actually listening more to me or rather my tee shirt than their own parents, there are other issues at hand. But being that I would rather a kid be a leader vs. a follower, them following the advice of this shirt ain't all bad.

I'm a writer not a preacher

I'm aware that there's always the role model tag that follows any person who puts themselves out in the public eye. While I don't really see myself in the public eye - one debut novel does not a celeb make - I'll agree that being a writer certainly puts me at least as close to my readers as perhaps a teacher and thus chance for some level of impact. But contrary to what some seem to believe, there's no pact YA writers sign saying we promise to never mention certain words, subjects or issues or that if we do, a lesson will accompany it.

I don't see my role as teacher. I see my role as provacateur of discussion.

Seriously. I want my books to spring board conversation between readers, between readers and parents/teachers, whoever. So wearing a shirt that does the same is pretty much in step with my natural personality.

So, in summation...

no apologies are forthcoming, for my wearing the shirt. And for those who honestly take issue, see the shirt's message for further instruction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home