Paula

Monday, August 06, 2007

It was all a dream

Except it wasn't.

Received an email from my editor today - copy review for the cover of, That's What's Up! the third in my Del Rio Bay Clique series. As I was reading it, I thought - Hmm...that books sounds interesting enough to read.

And then I remembered - oh wait, I wrote it! I already read it.

Sometimes I have days like that. Something will happen to remind me that being a writer isn't a dream, but my reality. And every time it jolts me a little.

It's so easy to get caught in the day-to-day of being a writer:

- long nights

- early mornings

- blocked juices

- insane promos

I've never had a day where I didn't enjoy the profession. Never had a moment where the cons outweighed the pros. But, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that some days the thought of facing a blank page and turning it into a 75,000 word book doesn't sit on my chest like a 800-lb gorilla.

But then, I'll see the new cover to one of my books. Or read the copy and I'm reminded that a) I'm not in this alone. There are a whole team of people at Kensington who are working to make my books the best they can be and b) it takes a whole lot of work on my part and theirs to make this look easy!

Reading the cover copy made me want to read the book. And hopefully that means it will make others feel the same way. The reader will never know the doubt I had in writing any passage or the struggles my publisher's marketing team may have had in getting the copy "just right."

All they'll know is - gee, I want to read that.

Very, very cool.

This folks, is what we call a good writing day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home