Paula

Monday, October 29, 2007

Three Days Til Contest Time

What's better than a count down to free swag?

Well, nothing!!

But, because I was in the 'Burg over the weekend, I wasn't able to provide my usual countdown post. So, now I'm playing catch up.

In case you're out of the loop, the 'Burg is Harrisonburg. Home of a big ol' chicken factory (seriously) and my alma mater, James Madison University. It was Homecoming Weekend, so I went down to see the Dukes beat up some Richmond Spider boo-tay. Unfortunately, we lost by one point.

But it's not only about the game. I got to hang out with my peoples, buy some new gear and see the AKAs win the annual step show (skee-wee, ladies).

So, in honor of the official contest (coming November 1st to a teens read too near you) countdown:

Three Things I love about JMU
(future collegiates get your pen out, it's an awesome school)

3. The Mountains
JMU is in the Valley. So everywhere you look there are these beautiful mountainscapes. I can't tell you how many days I wasted staring at them instead of studying. But where there are mountains, there are hills! And the campus is a big old series of slopes. Hey, I didn't get this nice behind by sitting on it. It was sculpted from four years of humping the hills of JMU, usually at high speed to avoid being late for class...with a few books weighing a couple pounds on my back. Academic cross-training at its best!

2. It's Centrally Located
JMU is one of those schools that's like two hours from everything. Seriously. It's about 2.5 hours from Maryland/DC. Two hours from Richmond. About 2 hours from VA Tech. A little less than two hours from UVA. Why should you care, future co-eds? Uhhh, road tripping! Nothing beats a good weekend road trip to other campuses. At Madison, you're able to do it without spending too much time in the car or too much money on gas. Heck, you can stay until the party ends and still get back to Madison in time for your eight o' clock class, Monday morning. Not saying I ever did that but...you know.

1. You may want to leave campus now and then but you don't have to
JMU has always offered plenty to eat and plenty to do on campus. It has a movie theatre (which tends to show relatively up to date films), fitness centers, and no less than six different places to eat. While many schools offer only the dining hall, which requires you to rise at ungodly hours in the a.m. or eat dinner at a ridiculously early time in the p.m. - JMU has always had and still does offer "fast food" outside of its D-Hall. And not just greasy burgers either.

Back in the day, they used to have a place that served only salads and soup, a steak house (no, for real) and PC Dukes (their version of fast food).

Now, PC Dukes is still running strong, offering everything from wraps to tacos and...wait for it...they have a Chick-Fil-A. Why, yes, I am jealous!

But, don't let me sway you, check out a few of the virtual tours of the campus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home