Paula

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Pop Bites

I'm up late cooking, like all good little wifeys should be on Thanksgiving Eve. It's giving me the chance to catch up on some good TV watching. So...

PJ's back!
Yes, folks, it's Project Runway season, once again. This is one of the few reality TV shows where the contestants seem to have actual talent. That little Christian is a fire cracker. But he can design his buns off.

Oh and can someone tell me what the heck the word "polymorphic" means?! The one designer, Elisa, uses it to describe her design style. Please, educate me.

Why Authors don't talk
I'm a chatter box. Public speaking rarely daunts me. But I can see why most authors choose to stay behind the PC as it were.

I've been following the show, Murder By The Book. It's pretty much like any other crime pseudo-doc where they re-enact and analyze a true crime. The difference is, the crimes are narrated by a best selling mystery author. I think, in most cases, the author is familiar with the case and perhaps was even inspired by it.

Tonight was Lisa Gardner. I'll be honest and admit I'm not familiar with her. Most of the other authors I know, but not her. Anyway, she sounded like she was reading straight from the cue cards, which isn't a good thing when you're reading cheesy lines like "Sounds like...mur-der."

Taking Suggestions
Tuesday night TV sucks eggs. Can anyone suggest anything to watch? Or shall I resort to DVR'ing shows, stockpiling them to watch on Tuesday?

I hate when that happens
I'm a Law & Order: Criminal Intent fan. I came upon the show two years ago. Lucky for me, I was able to catch up on the episodes because it was already in syndication.

Okay, I know I'm not crazy (or maybe I am, but I know I'm not wrong on this) but Eames (the female partner of Vincent D'Onofrio) was pregnant in one of the early episodes. At the time Goren (D'Onofrio) had a strawberry blonde partner. Eames came in heavily pregnant to help them with some admin work on a case. By the next season, Strawberry blonde chick was gone and Eames was Goren's permanent partner.

For years they never mention her kid. But this year's season opener they did mention her husband, who was a cop killed in action. Still, no mention of a baby.

I don't get it. Do the writers just think we've forgotten? Or was it simply too cumbersome to explain how a widowed cop would raise a child when she has a job that keeps her there seemingly 24 hours?

My pet peeve is when a show forgets that most people are are active viewers, not passive. We see what's going on, we remember, we connect. Don't we deserve more credit?

Kind of reminds me how on Good Times, Lou Gossett Jr. had a recurring role as Florida's younger, hot-headed brother. Great role for him. But it sort of grossed me out, at the same time, because before Gosset got that part, he'd played an older man love interest for Thelma on an earlier season episode.

Ewww. He played her boyfriend then her uncle.

Guess they figured either we'd forgotten or didn't care.

Fat chance that I'd forget or not care. I'm an active watcher. I practically needed therapy when X-Files moved from Friday to Sunday - it disrupted my whole TV viewing habitture.

Hey, is habiture a word?

2 Comments:

Blogger aprilspring said...

The reason Eames was pregnant was because she had become a sorragate mother for her sister, so the child was her nephew in the show. I hope this clears it up for you.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Ohhhh!!! Okay, I never knew that. Thank you!

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home