Paula

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Oh, Go Pop Yourself

Hi, I'm Paula and I'm an author of popular fiction.

Now here's your line: "Hi Paula."

I've started this support group, Pop Authors Anonymous, also known as "Paa!" because I'm no longer able to manage my anger problem at being considered a second-class liteary citizen among the literati, alone.

I hope to see some of my peers at future meetings. Membership is open, free of charge and in lieu of face-to-face meetings, simply blog your frustration and we'll come running, reminding you to tell all those who devalue your contemporary, fun, "frivilous" novel with a simple, "Oh, go Pop yourself!"

Ahh...that feels good.

Meanwhile, I'll get this first meeting started with my testimonial.

Make no mistake, I am not ashamed of being a popular fiction author. I love what I write, because I remember how much it meant to me to escape the dreaded required reading now and then. So I consider it my gift to the avid readers of the world who don't always want to be draped in the latest "great American novel."

But it's been an especially trying day for an author of bubble-gum flavored books.

First, my daughter's BFF relayed an exchange between she and her teacher. The conversation went something like this:

BFF: Miss P, my teacher said I can't do my book report on your book.

ME: No surprise. Many teachers like book reports to be on more literary novels.

BFF: Yeah. She said she doesn't like "those" kind of books.

Now see...I was okay right up until the "those" kind of books. That's what got my motor running. Princess A's teacher said the same thing earlier this year. Well, actually what she said was that she didn't like "Clique novel and Gossip Girl type books."

Umm, excuse me, my books actually are NOT like those (hell, I wish they were. The books are friggin' best sellers). But I refuse to try and convince anyone of that. Read the book for yourself - like it or don't. But spare the turning up of your nose until you're sure what you're snubbing. In other words, Go Pop yourself!

Okay, then I had an interesting request for help. A group is creating a library and they wanted some recommended reading for the older teens.

I was honored to be asked. But within the request I got the impression that one of the reasons they were stumped on books for the older kids was because among the criteria for eligible books was that they faciliate learning.

Umm...well, isn't learning facilitated in the classroom? Isn't it what kids do six hours a day in school? What on earth is wrong with them curling up with a book that allows them to escape their worries and real world for awhile?

And uh...isn't there something to learn from just about anything we read? Not literally, but being exposed to the struggles - not matter how deep - of a main character usually makes you think.

And, honestly, most teens read Gossip Girl and the like and know it's exxagerated. Geez, give today's teens some credit!

Gotta give it to GG, never has a series been so bashed and celebrated, at the same time.

But the icing on the cake was - I came across some information on one of the big awards. I was perusing past nominees of their lit categories. I was shocked that for one year, of the books nominated for their YA category, only ONE of the books was actually a YA. ONE!

And that book ended up winning. Thank God!

The rest were non-fiction accounts. It was, to me, an almost subliminal message that these were the type of books they wanted teens to read. It had little to do with what teens may actually want to read!

Look, we get it. Popular fiction authors have no delusions that we're changing the world with our stories, but could we get a little 'spect here?

Normally, I'm better able to blow off this sort of "discrimination." I chose to write what I write and knew how some viewed it when I came into this game. But it just seemed as if there were reminders all around me today of how some leaders, the same who say that literacy is important to them, are ignoring the fact that a true love of reading takes finding books that interest you.

Required reading in school is just that - REQUIRED. Some students may enjoy it, but a majority are reading it because you told them to.

I'd like to see more influencers embrace popular fiction for young readers. At least reserve negative opinion on a case-by-case basis.

I believe the best way to guarantee we raise a nation of non or reluctant readers is to continue to devalue the books they turn to for pleasure.

Meanwhile, power to the pop cultists. And everyone else...(say it with me) Go Pop yourself!

Meeting Adjourned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home