Paula

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I'm SORMAG YA Author of the Year




Let me see. I'd like to thank my wonderful agent, Jen Carlson. Without her I...

Oh sorry. I had an Academy moment, there.

Seriously, though I'm honored and psyched to be the Shades of Romance Magazine YA Author of the Year and have my books chosen as YA Book of the Year.

My life as a writer isn't easy, primarily because it's my second job. A second job that feels like a first job when on deadline or promoting books or up late, alone and tired.

But it's been especially hard over the last nine months since my accident and the passing of my dad. A LOT of times I feel like I'm toiling in total obscurity.

Because I frequent author communities, I'm surrounded by the ups and downs of my peers and the myriad of book lists - some prestigious, others just playing their part to acknowledge the many good books that may go unseen by readers, if they weren't around.

It's easy to get caught up in sales numbers and the angst/hype of being left off or included on a list.

I've found it's way too easy to lose sight of why I write.

I haven't yet found the solution to not lose sight. Sometimes I just do. Luckily, I've always found my way back.

Thank you, LaShaunda and the Sormag readers.

This award means people are reading the books. And that's what it's all about.

The gravy is - they really like them.

Thank you.

6 Comments:

Blogger LaShaunda said...

Hi Paula,

This was the first year for the YA Adult award. Congrats on your win. Sometimes its nice to know all the hard work is being recognized.

My deepest sympathy on losing your father. Hope your days get better.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Thank you for expanding the awards to include YA. One of the goals of the Brown Bookshelf is to remind bloggers and operators of adult lit sites how important it is that we not overlook our tween and teen readers. We must continue to review and spotlight books for them to broaden their choices and let them know that even if they're reading adult fiction now there is plenty of YA that may still appeal to them.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Karen Strong said...

Congrats Paula!

An award well deserved! It's great seeing the whole series out in bookstores and representing! A great gift for a teen for summer reading.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Summer said...

That's sooooooooo great. Congratulations!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Congratulations on your award!!!

I am so deeply sorry to hear about your dad. Sending hugs.

Best wishes,
Sarah

9:20 AM  
Blogger Doret said...

Congrats Paula, enjoy the shine

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home