Paula

Monday, April 20, 2009

Practicing What I Preach

I'm always shaking the diversity-in-reading pom-poms. But I'll confess I haven't always practiced what I preach.

Not to make excuses, but here's why...

The two years I was writing my series, I barely found time to read at all and I was literally unable to read YA. I tried but I'd over-analyze it, making it feel more like work than pleasure. When I had a free moment to read (which was very rare during this period)I stuck to comfort reading. Adult suspense, thrillers and horror that were so far from what I wrote, it was truly a vacation from writing.

I didn't diversify my reading much because I wanted a "sure thing" for the rare weekend I reserved for reading. Sort of like how you choose a restaurant when you're really hungry. When you're really hungry and you go out to eat, you select the restaurant that has items you know you like vs. taking a gamble on an untested place.

Gradually, I've gained more time to read and my ability to enjoy YA without analyzing it has returned. So I've decided it's time to step up the diversity in what I read - at least when it comes to YA.

I'll remain selfish in my adult reading, for now. I've got to feel like I still have pure comfort reading where I can be as un-PC as I want. So I have no plans to venture beyond the thriller/suspense/horror adult fiction or true crime non-fic.

But for YA, I'm making an active effort to read everything from realistic fic to paranormal. I just finished Winter Girls by Laurie Halse Anderson and Just Listen by Sarah Dessen. I'm currently reading Kendra by Coe Booth. (I tried checking out Shine On, Coconut Moon by Neesha Meminger and My Life as A Rhombus by Varian Johnson but they weren't in.)

The rest of my reading roster (must be finished by May 7th because they're lib books):

Haters by Melissa De La Cruz

The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson

There are a lot of great books out there and I plan on diving in. If you don't already,consider taking a diversity challenge and change up your reading habits. Diversity is broad - it can mean reading books about other cultures and races or simply reading outside of your usual comfort zone genre.

Do it. You won't regret it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home