Paula

Monday, May 04, 2009

My BEDA-cation

So how did everyone do last month Beda'ing?

I came out of the gate incredibly strong. Even had a plan to make sure I blogged every day by straddling my own blog and The Brown Bookshelf blog.

But as I looked back over my entries, I realized I missed ten days. I'm not sure how the hell that happened because, I swear, it felt like I was blogging everyday. The good news is, it balanced out anyway.

According to my blog post count, it looks like I missed ten days (seriously, that has to be wrong!). BUT, I realized that I ended up doing double blog posts seven days, in April, and a triple post one day. So that's actually nine additional posts, which means technically I only missed ONE day.

Yes, only one. That is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Here's what I learned by blogging every day:

1) It's hard as hell! Sure, a few days I popped in here at the Ning and wrote a little rambling post about nothing. But on days where I was attempting to truly write an engaging or informative post, it took a lot of time.

2) Much like writing a novel, blogging requires staying "in the zone." I'd see potential for a blog in everything I heard, read or saw. And that's a good thing. But by doing that, it also meant I was using creative energy that maybe (probably) should have been used elsewhere.

3) I enjoy blogging. The last time I blogged regularly was early 2008. At that time, blogging was cathartic. A writing exercise that helped my juices flow. After my car accident (May 2008) blogging simply didn't fit into the scheme of things. I didn't think I missed it until BEDA.

4) Sometimes people enjoy being lemmings. I mean that in the most respectful way possible. I and about five hundred plus people jumped on board, without as much as blinking over what we were getting into. But it was a good thing. I feel like we emitted a lot of positive chi into the environment. But Maureen, know that I draw the line at jumping off cliffs (and learning to trapeze). I'll follow only so far.

5) As much as I enjoy blogging, it's about to take a dive on my priority list, again. Fact is, I'm working on a new manuscript that I'd love to get to my agent before she goes out on maternity leave. So I'm gathering every ounce of creative bandwidth I have to get that done. Blogging has to suffer. Though I'm less likely to totally abandon it now after having participated in BEDA.

So...until next year. I mean, this will be an annual thing, right, Maureen?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home